Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
08 kia sportage 2.0 5spd awd
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 2.0 5spd manual awd. I tested wires to blower motor gets 8 or 10 volts. Went to the junk yard and got another resistor just in case. Blower motor spins when hooked straight to the battery, different resistor doesnt change anything. 40 amp fuse looks fine under the hood.

For laughs or helping dianose. 3 months ago radio started acting funny (volume and or presets wouldnt work and even once radio wouldnt turn on and then when it did no cd would play). 2.5 months ago muffler was a little loud, also sounded like a bad bearing in the back, bent down to look, seen the side of my diff was wet, axel seal only available online or from dealer, pita just to change that. Went to go on test drive, made it 30 ft before my alternator froze up. Pita to fix that, got a deal online. Go on test drive, rear end is quieter, get back from work its loud again, by the swerve test I was pretty sure right rear, jacked up wheel but no wobble, jacked up the other 3 wheels and all good. Changed that wheel bearing and fixed the noise. On the way home from work I stop at the store and I said ha ha some dumb ass is leaking gas, get home and smell gas again, fml. Fix the supply fuel line but notice the brake lines and return line look rusty. Charge dead battery. Days later spike the brakes for a deer and lost brake pressure, drove back home. Bled the lines enough to test drive, now I notice my blower motor doesnt work. 2.5 months and I've put less than 100 miles on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No to both. Ground issue I could understand but how am I getting voltage to the 2 wires going into the motor itself with either possibility. No evidence of mice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On my 08 kia sportage. Blower motor doesnt work. I can hear blend door working. Cabin filter just removed for testing. I get nearly 8 volts on low and nearly 11 on high. Changed resistor same thing. Pulled out relay had 11.4 volts there. Changed that too. Blower motor works direct to batt, changed that too. Back probed the wires to blower as stated before roughly 8 to 11v, when I plug it in it goes to 0v. Some people have suggested corrosion under the fuse box

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,179 Posts
Your vehicle's blower motor uses a switched ground, which is the switch in the A/C control module. So if you're using a body ground or battery negative to test for voltage at the blower motor connector, then you're bypassing the switch and the A/C control module connector, either of which could be bad. I can't tell from your post exactly how you're testing, so I'm mentioning this as an FYI. And the only part of the circuit that passes through the fuse box is the B+ side, so having voltage at the blower motor connector takes the fuse box off the hook.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im testing the connector right at the blower motor, across the 2 wires. My a/c compressor doesnt work so years ago I pulled a fuse and a relay for it. I get diff volts when I turn the knob for the blower and the defroster thats push button in the same knob works. I have a test light but a multimeter is better.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
In sorting through everything you've written, here's what I think the summary is.

1) You applied battery power to the blower motor and it spins.
2) You tested the blower motor connector and found voltage there.
3) When you plug the connector into the blower motor, it doesn't work.

If all of that is correct, then the only 2 things left are either a dead spot in the blower motor (i.e. working randomly), or the connector is not making good contact with the blower motor pins. There are no other possibilities.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took parts from a operational blower (parts car) as well. The connector gets power even in the off position which seems odd. Dont think its getting enough amperage or enough ground

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
….The connector gets power even in the off position which seems odd....
Something is wrong with that for certain. The control side of the blower relay gets voltage only with the key at on or run, so the only way to have power at the connector with key off is if that relay is stuck (closed), or if the relay was bypassed.

Just to make sure we're on the same page with this, you're seeing connector voltage at the red wire and ground at the white wire, correct? Having the red wire always hot wouldn't make the blower not run, but it's definitely not right, so I suggest you figure out why you're getting that result from your testing. Try seeing what the voltage is between the connector red wire and battery negative, and then switching the meter probes to the connector white wire and battery +. Try that with both key on and key off, in combination with blower on/off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With the key to on but not running or with running and the middle selector switch to off I get voltage, but that seems normal if the computer controls the ground. Like I said before both probes are on the white and red wire in the connector to the blower motor (disconnected). Have yet to touch to a good random ground ( its 20 degrees Fahrenheit here).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My dad suggested running my own ground wire but I assume if that actually works my blower would be on all the time if my key is in the correct position but still better than not working.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
With the key to on but not running or with running and the middle selector switch to off I get voltage, but that seems normal if the computer controls the ground....
I misunderstood your previous post, thinking it was key off, when you really were saying blower switch off. So yes, voltage would be at the connector with key on. I recommend confirming what those 2 connector wires read when probed relative to their opposite battery terminal, and checking at each blower setting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so I get Red with white stripe to ground(bolt for seat) 10.63v. 2.38v yellow wire low 0 volts on high 1.18v on 3/4. So I tested battery, 11.3v , jump started and got 14.23v. Retested and got 13.24 red wire and 3 for yellow and 0 on high. Tested at blower motor connector with it unplugged. Plugged in still doesnt work didnt measure it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I had previously posted that, with voltage and ground confirmed and the blower motor having already been swapped, the problem must be with the blower motor connector - something about plugging it in causing it to loose connectivity. Yes, bizarre for sure, and the only other off-the-wall thing I can think of is that the blower motor relay is faulty and is opening up instantly as the motor start-up current passes through it. These are really remote possibilities, but there has to be some physical reason that the blower is not being powered on by the proven good circuit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On my donnor car (tucson) the wires were burnt, not the case on mine. At the junkyard I remember seeing on both sportsges that someone took the heater controls and the resistor but I think they left the computer behind it but people there are lazy and cut connectors instead of unplugging. I can examine the junkyard fuse boxes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My car was just sitting in the drive way for weeks while I worked on it, not like a kid was playing in the front seat kicking his legs. So those numbers confirmed that the ground the computer uses is good? I still think its odd my radio was acting funny but not anymore.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts