Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 Sorento won't start. All power indicators come on when key is turned. No sound from starter. The steering wheel won't lock and turns freely even with key out. When it did run...I could hear the starter engage and if I wiggled the key, it would disengage and all well. (Which is why I think this is a key issue). I had a locksmith clean the ignition cylinder and that solved the starter coming on. This worked for about 2 months, then starter started coming on again. The fuse on the battery blew, and was replaced, (also had battery and alternator replaced). All fuses are intact. Before I buy a new (used) key cylinder, does anyone have some suggestions. I recently watched a yutube video of what seems to be similar. In this case, they went one step farther, they took apart a little plastic housing unit (the next part after key cylinder, where the wires connect, that had 2 springs and 2 ball bearings protruding from the side and a few more springs on top of that), then pinched a tiny bit of the metal cover to assist with contact. Maybe I'm in over my head, but I like to try and solve before having vehicle towed. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan, 17 Ford Edge Sport, 15 Mustang, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,704 Posts
My 08 Sorento won't start. All power indicators come on when key is turned. No sound from starter. The steering wheel won't lock and turns freely even with key out. When it did run...I could hear the starter engage and if I wiggled the key, it would disengage and all well. (Which is why I think this is a key issue). I had a locksmith clean the ignition cylinder and that solved the starter coming on. This worked for about 2 months, then starter started coming on again. The fuse on the battery blew, and was replaced, (also had battery and alternator replaced). All fuses are intact. Before I buy a new (used) key cylinder, does anyone have some suggestions. I recently watched a yutube video of what seems to be similar. In this case, they went one step farther, they took apart a little plastic housing unit (the next part after key cylinder, where the wires connect, that had 2 springs and 2 ball bearings protruding from the side and a few more springs on top of that), then pinched a tiny bit of the metal cover to assist with contact. Maybe I'm in over my head, but I like to try and solve before having vehicle towed. Thanks in advance.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts