Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Kia Optima, 2008 Toyota Prius
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an on-and-off problem with my 2008 Optima & wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this or has suggestions on a fix.

For about 15K miles now (I have 36K), my 2008 Optima LX's dashboard lights & turn signals will occasionally flicker. However, it's one of those nagging things that only happens occasionally. It seems most common when it's both hot & humid, which it temporarily is in Las Vegas during monsoon season July-Aug (most of the time it's quite dry here in the desert). As I go to turn on the left (or right) turn signal, I'll often get flickering on the dash, sometimes the lights will cut out.

More recently, occasionally the cruise control won't work. I was just set to take it in to Kia & it started working. Then it didn't. Then it did.

Is it possible this is a larger electrical issue related to the stuff around the steering column? Anyone else run into this? I'd much rather have it just go out for good so I can take it to Kia. It's obviously hard to re-create if it's only happening sometimes. At this point, I'm sure it's not going away, so I want to get it fixed within the next year or so while the car's still under warranty.

Are there any service bulletins or recalls for anything like this? I tried going to the Kia-Tech site, but every time I go there I get nothing. (i.e. empty screens, not a lack of data, just nothing)

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
When you say the dash lights flicker, do you mean they go out, or they come on when the turn signal is switched on? When you say dash lights, do you mean the back lighting(like the headlamps/park lamps are on), or the indicator lights in the cluster?

No bulletins or recalls about this or anything like it on the Optimas.

·
Registered
91eagletsi-06optima
86 Posts
Some ideas

Alternators can cause flickering, but sounds more like a suspect ground. You can have your alternator check for free at advance auto or auto zone,​
I would also suggest checking major grounds (including alternators ground wire) along with the main battery ground which is known for shutting down kia's Good luck sir​

·
Registered
2008 Kia Optima, 2008 Toyota Prius
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you say the dash lights flicker, do you mean they go out, or they come on when the turn signal is switched on? When you say dash lights, do you mean the back lighting(like the headlamps/park lamps are on), or the indicator lights in the cluster?

No bulletins or recalls about this or anything like it on the Optimas.
Yes, the dash lights go out momentarily, then they come back on ... it's subtle but consistent. I mean the backlighting on the speedometer area. The bigger concern is that often the headlights themselves also flicker off then on again ... obviously a safety hazard in that case.

From my research, I hadn't been able to find any bulletins or recalls but thought I'd ask here just in case it was a known issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts