1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Rio LX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
08 kia rio lx
176k miles

Ive had this code for a bit i have replaced purge valve under the intake and the vapor canister purge valve and gas cap with oe cap and it still has the light so i wanted to rule out the sensors and wiring I bought a power probe and tested voltage on the connecter to the purge valve under the hood and i get 12v on the right side(which i will assume is power) and 3v on the left side (which i assume is ground) my next step i wanted to rule out was bad sensors but i dont have the most knowledge with electric anything

So my questions are:
1. Am i supposed to have 3v returning on the ground side, if not im assuming i have a ground issue
2. if someone were to hypothetically delete the evap (which would be illegal obviously) for educational purposes if it is possible how would you do that without turning it off in the ecm?

i know i could solve a lot of question with a smoke test but i was hoping it would be an easier fix
any info on the matter to help me get this pos tagged and inspected would surely be appreciated

·
Registered
191 Posts
Guessing and replacing part is never a better solution to proper diagnostics.

·
Registered
2008 Rio LX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guessing and replacing part is never a better solution to proper diagnostics.
you could just say you don’t know either but thank you for not answering any of my questions and taking the time to state the obvious so I will do the same

Proper diagnostics lead you to a very educated guess which in this case my best educated guess without expensive tools or knowledge of this platform was to replace these $30 parts. If I am not willing to throw $30 at a problem I am not financially capable of fixing this problem and should pursue other avenues.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio LX
157 Posts
Right idea checking for power at the purge valve.
Another idea would be check for vacuum. AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts may have it as loner tool?

The main ground wire goes from the batter to under the battery holder. Also there are ground wires on the pass side near the top of strut tower, on the left side of the motor at the top, and two on the driver strut tower near the top behind the air box.

I replaced the purge valve under the hood twice on an 07 Kia Rio LX
10/1/2015 around 109800 miles code P0496 and car would not keep running well after filling up gas tank
11/5/2021 around 159000 miles code P0496 no starting issues after fill up. Wanted to clear check engine which I did with code reader.

·
Registered
191 Posts
you could just say you don’t know either but thank you for not answering any of my questions and taking the time to state the obvious so I will do the same

Proper diagnostics lead you to a very educated guess which in this case my best educated guess without expensive tools or knowledge of this platform was to replace these $30 parts. If I am not willing to throw $30 at a problem I am not financially capable of fixing this problem and should pursue other avenues.
Actually, I am capable and have the proper equipment, so any test result would be factual, not an educated guess.

The best way is to use a smoke machine and a bi-directional scanner (to operate the individual valves).

However, I wish you well on the parts swapping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts