Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sportage LX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I have an 07 Kia Sportage. with approximately 130,000 miles. I recently had an issue with the left rear caliper, brakes and pads. I towed it to what I considered a reputable shop (with locations nationwide that I have dealt with for years) and they replaced the one caliper on the drivers side back, and pads and rotors on both sides on the back.

18 days later the same thing happened again (the same wheel locked up) and with it the right front caliper locked up as well. I towed it back to the same shop where they notified me that they had missed that the left rear brake line was clogged (sort of thing one should catch after doing a rotor, caliper, and pad replacement on the left rear in my opinion). So they were willing to replace the caliper on the left rear and fix the brake line free of charge. They insisted I would have to pay to replace the right front caliper as they claim it being frozen has nothing to do with the left rear caliper being frozen.

It seems very unlikely that two calipers on opposite sides would fail within 20 days of each other and be unrelated. I am no expert, but I believe that the master cylinder usually controls brakes that way. So that the front passenger uses the same fluid as the back drivers, and the front drivers uses the same fluid as the back passenger. Based on the calipers that failed being where they are, I believe the front failure is likely caused by whatever caused the back caliper to fail - and with 3 total caliper failures in under 20 days (on only 2 wheels), I am very concerned about this. They claim it cannot be the master cylinder or anything but the brake line failure that caused the back caliper to fail twice. They claim age is what caused the front caliper to fail, and that it is in no way related to the back caliper failing twice.

I was told the master cylinder is working because when the clogged line is removed from the system, fluid comes out of the end of the lines, and that this is all a master cylinder does.

I have been driving cars for 25+ years and have never had one caliper fail, let alone two at once, and three inside of a month seems absurd. I am therefore very skeptical to continue throwing money (approximately $1000 per caliper) at repairs for something I believe the shop should have caught when they did the first repair. I feel like the front caliper issue was caused by the back caliper issue - and that both are caused by some (likely) undiagnosed problem. This makes me concerned that I will be driving an unsafe vehicle if I let them do the repair. No one else is going to replace a caliper for free however, and I do not have multiple thousands to throw at this problem.

The shop claimed that KIA uses a different master cylinder configuration, and the brakes in question are in no way related. Then they went on to explain that they did not know for sure how the master cylinder in a KIA operates.

Does anyone know enough about brakes to help me understand if this is going to solve the issue, or if it is just going to cascade in another 2 weeks into another caliper failure?

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sportage LX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: Spoke with the store manager today and they are replacing the calipers and brake line. He said they are not equipped to figure out what is causing the calipers to fail and that I should get it checked out at a dealership. I am hoping to avoid the insane dealer bill, Is there a common set of troubleshooting steps etc... I should check?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,759 Posts
I suspect, cant be sure, but it could be the lack of skills and equipment at the shop you've been using and possibly something like not using the correct procedure for bleeding the ABS system.

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,759 Posts
So the shop found codes for the ABS Pump and claim it can cause the Calipers to seize.
You're best positioned to know whether you can trust that shop, but from what you've described so far I wouldn't.

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sportage LX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After getting the car to a dealer, I discovered something very important. Apparently the 2007 Kia Sportage has a part that bricks the car if it fails. Kia no longer makes the part, and there is supposedly no way to turn off the ABS Module.

I now have a 2007 Kia Brickage. According to the dealer, the car will never run again.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,759 Posts
After getting the car to a dealer, I discovered something very important. Apparently the 2007 Kia Sportage has a part that bricks the car if it fails. Kia no longer makes the part, and there is supposedly no way to turn off the ABS Module.

I now have a 2007 Kia Brickage. According to the dealer, the car will never run again.
I would take it to another dealership or reputable independent service shop.

Any chance you can tell us what this part is?

I think someone is taking you for a ride, or we're not hearing the whole story.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,376 Posts
You can pull the fuse for the ABS system to disable it along with the traction control and stabilitrack. The vehicle will still stop fine. You will just loose those features, and the ABS light will be on the dash.
At least you can drive your vehicle. I've never heard of the term 'BRICK' being used before. Can you define it please??
Or, was the mechanic just being 'cute' and 'creative' with terminology.

·
Registered
Sportage 2009 Titan 2.0 CRDi
25 Posts
Here in the UK the law states that car parts must be made available by manufacturers for a minimum of 10 years after the production of the cart has finished. That would be 2020 for your model. Obviously the USA is different but even if Kia do not have the part then it will be possible to get either an after market or a second hand part, but I know that every part for the second generation Sportage is still available from Kia in the UK and the ABS module will be the same in both countries.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,694 Posts
Never heard "brick" before either.
What's the abs part that they say is cancelled?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Just a W.A.G. but I am assuming a 'brick' is something that just sits there and doesn't move.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sportage LX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brick is useless. I pulled the fuses and that did not solve the issue. The vehicle is still not moving.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,759 Posts
Brick is useless. I pulled the fuses and that did not solve the issue. The vehicle is still not moving.
Have you considered having it towed to a reputable service shop?

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sportage LX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had it looked at by Firestone, Fredy Kia ( a Kia Dealer down here), and three other shops. All have told me it is unrepairable.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,759 Posts
I had it looked at by Firestone, Fredy Kia ( a Kia Dealer down here), and three other shops. All have told me it is unrepairable.
Without you providing any real details of what and why they're making that statement, none of us can offer any valuable advice.

Its impossible that its unrepairable - its possible that the parts and labor makes it economically unviable but that is not the same as "unrepairable", so without more detail this will remain a mystery to us.

The other possibility is that there's not one reputable service shop in your area.

I would take it to another dealership or reputable independent service shop.

Any chance you can tell us what this part is?

I think someone is taking you for a ride, or we're not hearing the whole story.
Come on, tell us what this part is.

·
Registered
Sportage 2009 Titan 2.0 CRDi
25 Posts
I'm pretty certain the only way to make the car into an irreparable "brick" is by putting it into a car crusher. The term brick is usually reserved for non-functional computer units so I can only assume the ABS module or main ECU have failed - both can be replaced easily and the price will vary depending on the source - new from Kia would be expensive, but second hand from a breaker would be affordable for most.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,694 Posts
To the OP, why is it you refuse to tell us the part you need?
Why did you start this post?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts