Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Optima 2007 Spectra
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am back at it with the AC. This time it is my Girlfriend's mother's car. So I have been tasked with the repair. I can start the car with the AC off and it will run without a problem. Once I turn on the AC it makes a funny noise and the motor stops running. I tried reving the motor and turning on the AC, hoping it was the idle up sensor for the AC. This didn't work and the motor still died. When I popped the hood, it almost had a faint burnt rubber smell. I didn't want to kill the motor more then I had to, so I parked her car in my garage until I can get it fixed and she has my spare car now. I am 90% confident it is something to do with the compressor, but could it be as simple as the compressor clutch? Any ideas to check and distinguish between the two? I really do not want to have to replace the compressor to just find out that it is the clutch. Any help from the KIA forum would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone!!!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
The compressor pulley free wheels when the AC is off..

When the AC is turned on the AC clutch connects the AC pulley to the compressor.

Your clutch is doing it's job...

"IF" the AC compressor is locked up this will cause a bad drag on the engine when the clutch engages and will cause the engine to stall.
Dave

·
Registered
2004 Optima 2007 Spectra
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you are saying the compressor is shot? Best way to check that it is shot? Was thinking about trying to free spin it, but looking for any hints or tips.....

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
Yep...
It's bound up and when you turn on the "air" the AC clutch engages and drags the AC belt and engine down with it. The car should be able to run normally with the clutch engaged and the compressor being driven...Yours doesn't so there isn't much more to check...
Best way to check any farther is to energize the AC clutch coil with the belt off and try to turn the compressor...Bet it won't happen.
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts