Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Spectra
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So it was time for my 07 Spectra to get a new timing belt...so i jacked the car up removed the wheel, unbolted the alternator etc to get all the other belts off. Got to the point of almost removing the camshaft but put it all back, a bad thunderstorm was coming, but now the car doesn't start. Well it start but it doesn't crank.

Things i did while doing the job.

1)Added Power Steering Fluid.

2)Try to removed the crankshaft with a regular wrench(bad idea i know), all it did was moved it around.

3) While removing the ac belt i accidentally unbolted the tensioner and it fell off completely , not sure i put it back together correctly.

Anyways thanks for any help

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,923 Posts
I think you mean it will crank but not start.
I've done a TB on my wife's 07 and can not think of any electrical problems in the area of the timing belt that would keep the car from starting. Nothing in that area.. The car will start with our without the alternator being present. The battery just won't charge ..
Have you removed or replaced the TB at this point? You may have stripped a tooth or two off of the TB throwing it out of time..(and hopefully not damaging the valves or pistons) when you tried to loosen the crank bolt...
What do the timing marks on the crank pulley and the cam pulley look like? Are they both on their marks? The TB tensioner is adjusted counter (anti) clockwise and not clockwise like you would logically think. Using a wrench and turning the engine over in a clockwise direction should not cause any problems AS LONG as the TB is still on the crank and cam pulleys and both pulleys are on their marks and the belt is tensioned... Moving the crank pulley with the belt off most definitely WILL cause problems as the pistons WILL hit the open valves and damage them (usually bending or breaking them off).
YOU CAN"T move either pulley with the belts off as this IS an INTERFERENCE type engine and damage WILL happen.
Dave

·
Registered
Kia Spectra
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think you mean it will crank but not start.
I've done a TB on my wife's 07 and can not think of any electrical problems in the area of the timing belt that would keep the car from starting. Nothing in that area.. The car will start with our without the alternator being present. The battery just won't charge ..
Have you removed or replaced the TB at this point? You may have stripped a tooth or two off of the TB throwing it out of time..(and hopefully not damaging the valves or pistons) when you tried to loosen the crank bolt...
What do the timing marks on the crank pulley and the cam pulley look like? Are they both on their marks? The TB tensioner is adjusted counter (anti) clockwise and not clockwise like you would logically think. Using a wrench and turning the engine over in a clockwise direction should not cause any problems AS LONG as the TB is still on the crank and cam pulleys and both pulleys are on their marks and the belt is tensioned... Moving the crank pulley with the belt off most definitely WILL cause problems as the pistons WILL hit the open valves and damage them (usually bending or breaking them off).
YOU CAN"T move either pulley with the belts off as this IS an INTERFERENCE type engine and damage WILL happen.
Dave
Hey thank you for the reply, got the car is working now, just need help with one thing. Like i mention before the ac tensioner came off, and i am pretty sure i didn't put it back correctly, is made up of like 4 different pieces. Don't really know the other in which it goes back together

·
Super Moderator
6,923 Posts
Never took off the alternator tensioner or the alternator.. I think it's tensioned via a long threaded bolt and not a spring loaded tensioner... Threading the bolt tightens the slack in the belt.
I replaced the AC belt on my wife's car at that time as it was badly cracked but still operational. Also replaced the "Champion" plugs with NGKs as they were worn at 60k miles.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,923 Posts
You have to be registered and logged in at kiatechinfo.com to access the above link.
Replied to your pm with info...
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts