Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2006 Sportage LX 2.7L V6, 2004.5 Spectra EX A/T, 2007 Spectra LX M/T
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was replacing the control arms along with all 4 of the engine/trans mounts on my 07 Spectra with 170,000. After I got the knuckle & CV out of the way the control arm bolt closest to the front of the car felt as if it had snapped but what actually happened is the captive/welded nut inside the subframe must have broke and is spinning freely. After a quick glance around I don't see any access inside the subframe to hold the nut while removing and replacing the bolt.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or any suggestions? Im guessing I will need to cut the frame open to access this but that seems awfully sketchy & the frame is very narrow in that area.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions, Justin.

· Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,491 Posts
You have two choices.....burn the bolt off with a fire wrench or get out the saws-all and have at it.
Quite a big job for a shade tree mechanic.....hope you have a lift!
Good luck! Let us know how you make out!

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry it took so long to update this but I read that Dave also experience this issue on two Spectra's recently & recalled the nightmare I experienced. I ended up cutting 3 sides of a small square directly below the captive nut inside the subframe & folded the tab down to access the nut, held it with a wrench & finished installing the new control arm. Afterwards folded the 1"tab back up. Hopefully myself or someone else never has to replace a control arm on this car again.

· Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,966 Posts
Loudrnu...
Congratulations on the control arm replacement... The biggest problem is the nut is located within the engine cradle with no easy access... Be sure to check the condition of the engine cradle for rust... KIA offered to check and if it was still good spray the insides of the cradle with cavity wax for free a while ago... I don't know if they still offer this service...
I sold my "copper" Spectra to a friend cheap ($1500) and a very short time after he was stranded after the lower control arm rusted through and dumped the wheel back towards the firewall... This was the bit#h to repair... Also check the unitized body frame rail on the drivers side for rust damage as water and salt get thrown into it and the sides blow out...
Dave

Reactions: Lou O.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave thanks for the info, I will definitely take a closer look at the cradle. My 04 Spectra with 270,000 has definitely rusted & blown out on both the driver and passenger sides of the body frame rail in the front door areas. I don't expect the car to last too much longer & when it finally decided to give up it owes me nothing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.