Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
We have a Sedona 2.9 CRDI auto, whilst towing our 22ft caravan, the sedona wouldn't change up from 2nd (40mph 3500rpm) i shifted to manual but nothing, if i shift in to neutral then back in to drive, 4th gear was selected and all was well.

This did this several times with no pattern to it, this wasn't related to steep hills or hot outside temp, as our trip home was at night.

MIL came on then went off with codes P0087 (fuel supply low) and P0741 (torque converter clutch abnormal)

last time i towed the caravan i had no probe at all.

ATF is clean, doesn't smell of burning and is at the correct level, it was also changed 12months ago.

I have a DrakeBox diesel chip which was on last time i towed.

I ran the car in to a local auto trans shop and they couldn't find a fault or explain it.........

One final note, when NOT towing the car is perfect, no probe at all.

Anyone have any thoughts.......?

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio5, manual, roll up windows. 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 5.9L V8
343 Posts
Hi all
We have a Sedona 2.9 CRDI auto, whilst towing our 22ft caravan, the sedona wouldn't change up from 2nd (40mph 3500rpm) i shifted to manual but nothing, if i shift in to neutral then back in to drive, 4th gear was selected and all was well.

This did this several times with no pattern to it, this wasn't related to steep hills or hot outside temp, as our trip home was at night.

MIL came on then went off with codes P0087 (fuel supply low) and P0741 (torque converter clutch abnormal)

last time i towed the caravan i had no probe at all.

ATF is clean, doesn't smell of burning and is at the correct level, it was also changed 12months ago.

I have a DrakeBox diesel chip which was on last time i towed.

I ran the car in to a local auto trans shop and they couldn't find a fault or explain it.........

One final note, when NOT towing the car is perfect, no probe at all.

Anyone have any thoughts.......?
Sounds like the trans is being over loaded. If the torque converter is slipping too much, it'll produce massive heat, causing the trans to not operate properly. Some transmissions have an "Oh Shit" mode that locks them in to a low gear with the converter locked. This will help them dissipate heat to a range within operating specs.

First thing I'd do is put on an additional trans cooler. Also, perhaps a transmission service with high performance fluid would help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for the reply, i will look in to a trans cooler, i am not sure how big the factory fit one is.......

Its frustrating, as in the UK the sedona is listed as one of the best tow cars....... unless mine is just a bad one LOL

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona 1997 Land Rover Discovery
145 Posts
Up shifts will be delayed whenever towing no matter what you tow with.
Take your foot off the throttle to force the upshift.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When this happens, its almost like driving a manual and keeping it in 2nd, if you take your foot of the gas, the engine revs drop but as soon as you go back on the gas, the revs go up and if you let it, it will "red line" without changing up, then the only way to force it to shift is, drop it in to N then back to D.

I am completely stuck on this one, i have removed the diesel tuning box and will try towing again............

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update
I now have a copy of KIA GDS :) and found the following TSB KE09-52-E010-VQ

¦ Symptom/Condition
Some CARNIVAL/SEDONA (VQ) J-2.9L diesel vehicles may experience as below symptoms.
- The abnormal body vibrations occurs while the damper clutch is engaged at 4th or 5th gears
- The transmission is held in 2nd gear and not shifted into a higher gear
¦ Countermeasure/Remedy
Perform the TCM software upgrade on the CARNIVAL/SEDONA (VQ) vehicles with the affected ROM IDs.

I have the sedona booked in at the dealer tomorrow for the update, makes me smile though, when i called the dealer 2 days ago to ask for advice, they had no idea what could be the problem, today i call them and give them the TSB, which they then find on there system and print off..... LOL

NOTE this should be covered under warranty but as my car has done 136,000miles no warranty or goodwill, nice one Kia :-/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
07 Sedona CAN BUS error!!!!!

Well we now go from bad to worse............
Dealer has had the car all day and say they cannot connect to the TCM or ECM, but can connect to ABS and BCM, now they say it is a wiring fault with the CAN and want £200 to start wiring diags..........

Has anyone had any CAN faults?
I can connect to the engine and trans with a handheld scanner, do these use CAN or is OBDII a different system?

Called KIA helpline they spoke to the dealer and basically said tuff its out of warranty........

Need help...........!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts