Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sedona
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The driver front brake keeps applying and sometimes locking up on an older friends 07 Kia Sedona van. Everything seems fine when inspected. It has started doing it almost every time he drives it now, it was smoking when he got home the other day. Any suggestions on what it could be?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,844 Posts
The driver front brake keeps applying and sometimes locking up on an older friends 07 Kia Sedona van. Everything seems fine when inspected. It has started doing it almost every time he drives it now, it was smoking when he got home the other day. Any suggestions on what it could be?
One of the more common causes of that is the caliper sliders are corroded and bound up - you need to take the calipers off to inspect that, is that what was done in the inspection you mention?

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,347 Posts
Pads that are stuck in their slide actions and not moving away from the rotor. Or brake caliper sticking on it's sliding parts and not backing away after brake use. OR a collapsed flex. brake hose to the caliper, not allowing fluid to flow back to release the brake piston after braking use. There are a couple more possibilities, but these are the most common.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sedona
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, made sure it is all working good and it is. I am thinking it may related to the abs system or computer system at this point. I had one mechanic tell me to turn the ignition on and off a few times, it resets the abs system, it didn't seem to do anything when trying this. Only the drivers front brake sometimes it is partially on and when you notice and pull over it really clamps down. You can jack up the other wheels and they move just fine, when you apply the brake you can not move them, you let off the brake and you can move them again but that front drivers stays locked. After it sits for a while everything is just fine again. The drivers caliper looks good, when you take it off and remove the pads everything moves really easy and nice like it should. I have always had the brake fluid changed at the intervals, it looks new and nice.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,844 Posts
Pads that are stuck in their slide actions and not moving away from the rotor. Or brake caliper sticking on it's sliding parts and not backing away after brake use. OR a collapsed flex. brake hose to the caliper, not allowing fluid to flow back to release the brake piston after braking use. There are a couple more possibilities, but these are the most common.
And to add to that list, if the brake fluid is not replaced when it should, the moisture it draws corrodes the brake pistons and cylinders.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
What is the pad wear compared to the inner and outer pad thickness. IMO you're "barking up the wrong tree" about ABS involvement. Something is binding and gets worse as it gets more heated, and will become more free once cooled down..that is a normal symptom of binding brakes.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sedona
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks just like the other side, pads are the same on each side, caliper looks fine. I will inspect the lines more I guess. It was doing it every day and then quit so maybe it will just stay fixed?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
740 Posts
Please have this brake system inspected and repaired by a certified brake mechanic.
Someone's life may be saved....seriously.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sedona
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, you would think that would be the best thing to do. These days I don't feel that is always the best option. Most of the time they are just throwing parts and a ton of your money at issues and nothing gets resolved unless they have fixed the issue before. It is much better to hear someone or the dealer knows exactly what is happening and they can fix it. I have read a lot about this same issue across many models of KIA the last few days and I can't find anyone that has fixed the issue so far. Several people have had all new brake parts installed, booster, master cylinder, all new rotors, calipers and pads along with the abs module and it still did it when they got it back, still no solution to their issue. Some are both front brakes, some are just the driver side like mine, some are the passenger front and driver rear. It seems more like something is applying the brake. I am going to look into the computer codes next for this guy when I get a chance. I was just hoping for quick help where someone experienced the exact same issue, fixed it and will let everyone else know what was going on. The only time I have ever seen something like this there was a pad failure and once with a broken caliper. With this having a mind of its own only applying 1 brake as you are driving with no use of the brakes once and a while, cold and hot not having an effect is strange. Something has to be activating the brake.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sedona
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is off the road for now only being driven for testing in a non populated large area until we can figure something out. $650 bucks from the dealer and they just want to replace all the brakes, calipers and rotors/pads.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
What is NOT often said by those you speak of is WHO is throwing in parts. I have worked at 2 Dealerships and 3 Independent shops AFTER being trained by my father in such things. And would cringe to see fellow techs HAMMERING new pads into their slide action mounting points, not cleaning or lubing anything, to get the job done and out the door. ..they did replace the brales though...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
740 Posts
Well, you would think that would be the best thing to do. These days I don't feel that is always the best option. Most of the time they are just throwing parts and a ton of your money at issues and nothing gets resolved unless they have fixed the issue before. It is much better to hear someone or the dealer knows exactly what is happening and they can fix it. I have read a lot about this same issue across many models of KIA the last few days and I can't find anyone that has fixed the issue so far. Several people have had all new brake parts installed, booster, master cylinder, all new rotors, calipers and pads along with the abs module and it still did it when they got it back, still no solution to their issue. Some are both front brakes, some are just the driver side like mine, some are the passenger front and driver rear. It seems more like something is applying the brake. I am going to look into the computer codes next for this guy when I get a chance. I was just hoping for quick help where someone experienced the exact same issue, fixed it and will let everyone else know what was going on. The only time I have ever seen something like this there was a pad failure and once with a broken caliper. With this having a mind of its own only applying 1 brake as you are driving with no use of the brakes once and a while, cold and hot not having an effect is strange. Something has to be activating the brake.
All your points are well taken and we understand your frustration. If you take it to a trusted master mechanic and tell him / her what work you performed, they may be able to pinpoint the problem and help correct the issue.

In the meantime:

1.) Pull the fuse that controls the ABS and Traction Control (your regular hydraulic brakes will function as they should) and drive her around in a parking lot. See if that helps the condition.

2.) Drive her around until you feel this 'grabbing issue'. Locate a safe parking lot. Place vehicle in reverse. Accelerate to ~10-15 mph and hit the brakes hard. See if this maneuver helps the condition.

3.) When the brake system grabs again stop the vehicle. Place in park, keep engine running. Grab brake pedal and pull up with all your might, multiple times. See if this maneuver helps the condition.

Hopefully at some point soon someone will chime in with a logic tree repair scenario that is based on prior knowledge.....Good luck! Let us know what happens!

·
Registered
740 Posts
What is NOT often said by those you speak of is WHO is throwing in parts. I have worked at 2 Dealerships and 3 Independent shops AFTER being trained by my father in such things. And would cringe to see fellow techs HAMMERING new pads into their slide action mounting points, not cleaning or lubing anything, to get the job done and out the door. ..they did replace the brales though...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I have never had any respect for 'hammer mechanics'......

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sedona
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great ideas there! These are more reasonable things I can easily try that I didn't think of. I am excited to pull the ABS fuse to see if that has any affect. I am also going to pull the codes to see if there is anything stored in there. The driver didn't report any lights, codes or anything but you never know. I also can see the lights on the dash light up and turn off like it seems they should do normally when you start the vehicle. Thanks for your help, I will report back when I get a chance.

·
Registered
740 Posts
BTW....if #1 is positive your have a ABS/Traction Control issue, or perhaps wheel speed sensor.
If #2 is positive you have a defective caliper.
If #3 is positive your master cylinder is defective.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
06 Grand Carnival
381 Posts
I think you are on the correct path with the wheel sensor.

Haver a look at this.......https://youtu.be/RkT7nfe69gc

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sedona (2 of them)
36 Posts
I'm thinking Master Cylinder if the brakes themselves are passing muster.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts