Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX V6, 2007 GMC Sierra
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Ok, here's a quick history of the car, it has 150k KM's, had the timing belt done last September at 100k. Other than the brakes that fail/wear way more than they should, front end clunking from Sway bar end links and abnormal vibrations at higher speeds the car has been pretty good, up until a couple weeks ago.

I get a Check Engine light, read it and it was P0301 Cyl 1 misfire. First thing I did was change the plugs, they hadn't been done (suggested is 160k KM's) but I did them anyways, kind of a pain to remove the upper intake manifold but got it done.

Still had the same code come up so I removed the upper intake manifold again, swap coil 1 and coil 2, now had P0302 Cyl 2 misfire. Swapped coil 2 and coil 6 and got P0306 Cyl 6 misfire so I ordered a new coil, put it in, ran good however we noticed that it was a little harder to start. (Turned over a few extra times than normal)

1 week later, wife is driving to work, CEL comes on, she comes home I read the codes and get P0171 and P0174 for System Too Lean Bank 1 and 2, looked at the intake tube I see no cracks, the clamps are good, no signs of leaks. Read around and see that it could be fuel related, I have never changed the fuel filter...oops...so I did that on Friday, pretty easy actually.

I start the car and it took a while to start, figuring this was normal since the fuel system was de-presurized, it finally started. I shut it off and started again and started right away. I then cleaned up my tools etc. (maybe 15min) and went to take the car for a ride and it was really hard to start but finally started. I had an hour drive to do so I left and on the drives I got codes P0171 and P0174 again but now also code P2187 appeared which is system too lean at idle bank1.

I am planning on checking the Purge Solenoid Valve to ensure it's properly in place (something that I had to remove during the upper intake manifold removal), I will also take the fuel pump out again to ensure everything is properly in place.

I looked into buying a new Fuel pump but NAPA wanted $699 which I think is crazy, if it were $100 I would just buy one and replace it. I also have a Fuel Tank Air Filter coming in likely tomorrow but I doubt this will fix that issue.

Anyone have similar issues and can tell me what fixed it? Has anyone had to replace the purge Solenoid Valve? I would rather replace parts than bring the car into the dealer and pay their ridiculous labor rate to basically do what I am doing myself.

However, after a couple weeks of trying stuff, I'm on the verge of bringing it in :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, after work I checked to ensure the Purge Solenoid Valve was plugged in properly and the vacuum lines were good which they are. I looked also to ensure I didn't see anything else wrong which nothing caught my eye.

I then went back into the fuel tank, took the pump out and apart and put it back together to ensure I had everything right. When I undid the fuel line that comes out of the pump before removing it there was a lot of fuel pressure which I expect when the car is running normal but I don't understand if there's that much fuel pressure at the pump how come it takes so long to start the car?

I put everything back together, start the car and at first shot it takes a while to start :( If I shut it off and then start it up right away it starts no problem but if I leave it a few minutes then I get hesitation.

This is getting annoying :(

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX, V6, 5 Seater
24 Posts
Im actually having alot of the same issues with my 07 Rondo, the dealer has my car now. They updated the computer and said today that they think they fixed the problem. I asked them to drive the car for a day and if the light dosent come back then I will go pick up my car. Could be your car needs the computer updated too?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting, maybe I should bring mine to the same dealer you went to just so they might be aware of the issue and then I'm not dealing with a random place that will try and get me to pay them to diagnose a bunch of stuff. What dealership is your car at?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drove car to work this morning, no CEL but the scanner shows P0171 and P0174 pending. Getting on the On ramp to HWY 407 the car just died, had someone behind me following close :s I hit the 4 ways real quick and pulled over, braking without engine power is fun.

I put it in park, turned the key to off and then started again no problem.....no CEL's for that either....very odd, and annoying, i'm glad it was me it happened to and not my wife.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Jerome, here is the latest

So, the mechanic was going to take for a drive today, about an hour, but when it didnt quite start right he chickened out. So they went back to the drawing board. First phone call I got today said they were leaning towards needing a new computer, nothing $2000 cant fix, I said no, keep looking. Second call said they were going to change the fuel tank air filter for $130, they werent sure but thought they should change it. reluctantly I agreed. They ran a fuel pressure test and finally I think we have the answer. The fuel pump sending unit is noisey and only putting out 30psi when it should put out 50psi. Ok, now we are getting some where! Cost $524 + .8 hrs labor. I stopped off at Parts Source for the after market price. $113 They suggested only changing the pump, not the sending unit because its the pump that provides the pressure not the sending unit. Hmmmm, so why do they want to replace the whole thing? Lucky for me I have a cousin who is a mechanic so Im going to ask him what he thinks. I might actually get my car back before the weekend after all. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick update: I got a couple more codes tonight after starting the car and it dying, P161B, P1295 and P2106.....pain in the butt!

I saw this thread here: http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carens-rondo-forum/67948-kia-2007-rondo-6-cyl-start.html and looks one one of the replys they replaced the pump only but then needed to replace the whole assembly, that has me worried because you can buy the pump on it's own but you can't buy an assembly without the pump. I'm hoping my buddy can get me a whole assembly for a decent price and I'll just go ahead and swap it all out. At least I don't need the car on the long weekend.

Wish I could just get a new car!

·
Registered
91eagletsi-06optima
86 Posts
Try not to pull your hair out...

If the comp main harnness is easy to access I would suggest checking for a loose or dropped pin which I've seen cause this intermmittent misfire​
Symptoms were kinda the same but the vehicle was a saab 95, dropped main harnness female pin for the coil pack power. Just throwing ideas around Good luck sir​

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, to give an update after swapping the Fuel filter, then fuel tank air filter and finally the fuel pump....I'm still having a really hard to start issue (cranks over way more than normal before it finally starts) and then I get a P0171 and P0174 code after I've had the car driving for a while :(

If I run the car, shut it off then start it right away it starts like normal but only if I try right away.

I have officially given up and will bring it in to a dealer :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally bringing the car to the dealer tonight to have them take a look at it tomorrow. I am hoping that it will be a easy thing to fix.....but not holding my breath on that. Depending on what it is and how the car acts after, we are likely getting rid of the Rondo soon as having a relatively new car that can't be reliable doesn't work for us :( I was hoping this car would last me another 3 years......sadly that might not happen. I'll keep this thread updated with the results from the dealer in case others have this same issue in the future.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hey Jerome, I know what you mean. I had plans to keep my Rondo another 3-4 years too. Im keeping in contact with the dealer to find out what was going on with mine, If I hear Ill let you know. Keep me posted too, Good Luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I got a call from the dealer and they did a fuel pressure test and it only had 35psi and with the car off it wouldn't hold pressure. So they took the whole pump assembly from 07RedRondo's old car and put it in mine, had 55psi and 52psi with car off and was starting no problem.

So instead of swapping the whole assembly, I tried to save $$ and replace only the pump when in reality I should have just done the whole thing :( so on top of the $220 for pump and $20 for fuel filter I need to spend $450 on a complete assembly which includes those two things.

I am hoping that there won't be too many more issues after this.

Will update when I get the car back, should be tomorrow night.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, got the car back on Wednesday with the complete fuel pump assembly replaced and since then it's been starting no problem and even with about 400km on her we haven't seen a CEL. I'm hoping it will be the last of the little issues for a while.

I had bought brakes 2 weeks ago so I'll be putting those on this weekend and hopefully she'll last another couple years.

I did have them check the noisy AC and they said it wasn't the clutch or coil it felt like the compressor itself was bad but I'll bring it to a specialty place just to be sure.

Bottom line, if you have this problem, just spend the extra $$ on the complete assembly, you can get them online for $250-$300 and then at least you're assured it will fix it. Changing pump only worked for 07RedRondo but not for me and if it doesn't work you basically have a $200 paper weight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts