Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia rondo ex 2.4l )160,000 miles
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
Wondering when to change trans filter of a 2007 Kia rondo- Ex 2.4l. Been researching changing the transmission fluid, simply drain and refill but curious if the trans filter needs to be replaced.
Haven’t seen anything in the manual but will go over again to see if I missed something.
Any info would e greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
843 Posts
If the fluid coming out is just dirty don't bother. It's not a paper or felt element. More like a screen than anything else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the fluid coming out is just dirty don't bother. It's not a paper or felt element. More like a screen than anything else.
Thanks for the reply Lou. May you specify what would indicate a need of a filter/screen replacement in terms of “coming out” I.e., more then metal shavings, what would exactly indicate that?
Let me know

·
Registered
2007 Rondo and 2000 Tacoma
128 Posts
At 160,000 miles it’s risky even changing the fluid if it’s never been changed before. Fresh fluid/detergents can get sludge moving from build up in corners, etc and can block small passages.
.........Draining the fluid every 30,000 without touching the filter is all that’s ever needed.

At 160,000 with no previous servicing it’s either leave it alone or change the fluid a few times in short intervals and change the filter at least once depending on what it collected.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
843 Posts
Thanks for the reply Lou. May you specify what would indicate a need of a filter/screen replacement in terms of “coming out” I.e., more then metal shavings, what would exactly indicate that?
Let me know
See what old and slow has to say....I agree with his comments.

Reactions: Ericozeta

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,379 Posts
I don't have either enginemodelRonda to say specifically,BUT I looked up your posted vehicle on rockauto.com.
Yes the traditional filter is there, BUT requires trans removal and disassembly. SO drain and refill.
On the same listing it also shows 2 brands of "spin on" transmission oil filters as i post them.
Hastings TF197 and WIX 51064
I don't know if this is an optional for some factory extra trans cooler from the factory or not, you may want to look over your cars transmission for a "spin on" filter that would look much like the ENGINE oil filter. IF it has a "spin on" filter for trans., I would strongly suggest replacing it with the trans. oil drain and refill.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At 160,000 miles it’s risky even changing the fluid if it’s never been changed before. Fresh fluid/detergents can get sludge moving from build up in corners, etc and can block small passages.
.........Draining the fluid every 30,000 without touching the filter is all that’s ever needed.

At 160,000 with no previous servicing it’s either leave it alone or change the fluid a few times in short intervals and change the filter at least once depending on what it collected.
Th transmission fluid change has been done every 20,000 miles according to my family member
who gave me the car.
just wondering when the actually screen or filter needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Since it's not designed for easy replacement, it is good for the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My last vehicle did 190,000 , lots of stop and go commuter traffic, over 10 years with only fluid changes every 30,000. It still performed like new. Don’t worry about it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My 07 Rondo 2.4 L has about 115,000 (well cared for) miles and only the front stabilizer bars wore out so far.
................Just curious at 160,000 miles did your relatives replace anything ? Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 07 Rondo 2.4 L has about 115,000 (well cared for) miles and only the front stabilizer bars wore out so far.
................Just curious at 160,000 miles did your relatives replace anything ? Thanks.
I don’t think so but I’m looking to replace the struts in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
On a 9,000 mile ( used just under a quart of 5w30 oil ) cross country trip last year I met a guy in a 2.4 L 2009 Rondo with 260,000 miles, he said everything was original except the shocks ( struts ? ) needed replacing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On a 9,000 mile ( used just under a quart of 5w30 oil ) cross country trip last year I met a guy in a 2.4 L 2009 Rondo with 260,000 miles, he said everything was original except the shocks ( struts ? ) needed replacing.
Good ol Kia Ron do

1 - 13 of 13 Posts