Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have issues with light output from their factory projector headlights? The output has gotten so bad I actually got pulled over by the police for not having working headlights. Both bulbs work and have 12+ volts being delivered to them. The passenger side is stronger than the drivers side but still not as bright as it should be. I have cleaned both headlights to make sure haze is not an issue. I am at a loss as it doesn't seem to be electrical. It also doesn't easily seem to be the housings themselves. Yes the lens on the drivers side is not clear anymore but how does that haze when its inside the housing.

please anyone have any experience or thoughts on this matter?

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
The lights on my 07 Optima seem very dim compared to my other Kia vehicles, but there is no visible haze, and proper power going to them. I can't figure this out either, so I just drive with my fog lights on, too. (which I don't do with my other vehicles)
-
I honestly thought it was only my car with this problem. If someone can shed some light on this issue (pun intended!) I would appreciate knowing how to solve this problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm happy to hear I am not the only. My vehicle doesn't have fog lights and the output is so bad it barely looks like the headlights are on.

·
Registered
07 Optima 2.4L
109 Posts
KIA 07 Dim Projector Headlights

Hi...what I finally did was order a quality set of 35-watt HID conversion Xenon lights for the low beams, which are in the projectors. I paid around $50, but many inexpensive ones are on the market at around $35-40, and there are much more expensive ones as well. Match your factory bulbs (mine were H-7.)

Look for the digital ballasts, try to stick with 4500-5000-6000 K (lower is actually whiter, brighter light) and be sure to install an in-line relay, to help with preventing any wiring or start-up issues with powering up or possible flickering. Installation should be easy, with all the on-line help, diagrams and videos available here and elsewhere, showing removal of headlights and actual installation steps.

Start with a search on our site here, then go to KIA Tech for any wiring diagrams you might need. Google and YouTube are also very useful. Pick a reputable US seller if you go to Ebay, for a better warranty. Read reviews and stay away from cheaper, older-style ballasts as well as much bluer colors (7000-10000 and higher) which actually produce less light output. Make sure you install OEM-style halogen projector fog lights as well, on a separate relay, if you don't have those yet, which I also added. You might even try installing 35 watt HID in those projector fogs, (which use the 9006 fog bulbs in my 2007 Optima), but make sure all wiring, relays and ballasts are all properly connected, waterproofed and wrapped. I used wiring loom. Good luck, and keep us posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts