Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Optima, 2007 Honda CRV, 2011 Ford Mustang
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- New to the forum and I need help with a situation I'm dealing with. Last couple weeks I have been looking for a Optima for my daughter and one of the safety items that I wanted on the car is abs. I realize it was an option on the 07 Optima and I passed on a couple cars because the did not have it. Found an 07 EX model that was listed having abs[large dealership],told the salesman that I required abs. I looked at the fuse box and there was fuses for abs and after bring the car home I pulled a front wheel off and saw there was a abs sensor. I over looked that there is not a abs light on the dash and did not see a abs control valve coming off the master cylinder. I'm confused on whether the car has abs. Did Kia install abs sensors and put fuses in the fuse block even if the car does not have abs? Its a really clean car and don't know if its worth fighting with this dealership over false advertisement. Should abs be mandatory for a young driver ? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,955 Posts
Bet you are looking in the wrong place...
On my 06 Spectra the ABS unit is up front on the passenger side (right) quite a distance from the brake master unit. You need to follow the brake lines from the master cylinder.. I would doubt KIA would have installed the sensors and not the ABS unit.
I would prefer to have a car WITHOUT ABS...My 98 Ford Contour with ABS pulsed the brakes straight into a tree
My KIA came used with them..
Dave

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
ABS is a feature that you don't think about. You will find people who claim to be able to brake better without it, but the only time I REALLY needed ABS it worked brilliantly. An approaching car did a sudden U-turn and failed to see me coming. Swerve + full application of brakes saved the day and there is no way that I would have been able to avoid a collision without it. ABS will not usually be so effective on dirt roads; you need the "ploughing" effect of locked brakes for a fast stop.

If you have ABS, all drivers of the car need to practice panic stops, feeling and listening to the reponse.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
The ABS unit in the Optima is down and to the left (looking toward the rear) of the master cylinder. ABS is great in Michigan winters.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Optima, 2007 Honda CRV, 2011 Ford Mustang
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. A mechanic I took it to verified it does not have abs but said the car is in good shape. What I thought was an abs sensor on the r/h wheel hub is actually a speed sensor.Amazes me that abs would be an option on a EX model much less any late model car. That's what I get for assuming.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts