Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Sportage 2L 2WD LX, 5spd manual, 160,000 kms
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

We have an '07 Sporty with the 4 cylinder gas motor.

Having timing belt done today along with the tensioner, pully, accessory belts, etc.

However, the other issue at hand is the A/C and in Panama, that means very hot days if not working!

Anyway, the current condition is that it blows cold when the compressor is engaged. It will need a service soon so that means recharging it, etc.

There is a rattle coming from the A/C compressor when engaged. Especially noticeable at idle. I suspect it is the bearing in the clutch assembly.

So we took it into one of the many A/C places here (referral from a friend) and they are saying they must remove the compressor and check the bearing inside of it rather than the clutch bearing.

Questions are:

Is the A/C place blowing smoke, or are they correct?

Is there any consensus about just getting a new/remanufactured compressor and calling it a day? If we do that, will we need to replace any other parts (other than seals, orings, etc.)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had the same problem, shop diagnosed it as early failing main compressor bearings. But I opted to get a new compressor. Shop told me the compressor was a throw-away unit, couldn't be rebuilt. They were wrong. I later met a lady who was the local Kia logistics officer, and she told me a replacement unit of the bearings with associated attached parts could be purchased from them as a kit. Definitely cheaper than a new compressor, but I'm not sure if going this route might be best. After all, the rest of the parts inside would still be older and may also fail sooner. On second thought, maybe this is the reason the shop told me it couldn't be rebuilt. They didn't want any callbacks on the unit if something else failed and they'd be blamed for not doing a good job in the first place.

Something weird happened 2 months after they'd worked on my car: aircon started to lose its strong cooling. I brought it back to the shop, and they found it was low on refrigerant. But there were no leaks! I know, as I was right there beside them as they checked it out. Didn't retighten any fitting. All they did was check the pressures, refilled it, and today 6 months later, everything's still just dandy.

·
Registered
2008 Kia Sportage 2.0; 2000 F150 Lariat 4X4; 2006 Chevy Trailblazer
57 Posts
As a refrigeration technician, I can tell you this. The weakest part of the A/C system is the charging ports. They are notorious for leaking, and stopping leaking. I always change them out when servicing an A/C unit. If I do not, they will leak. Sooner, or later. This is probably where your freon went. Sometimes, they will only leak when compressor is running, and sometimes, you can not find it at all, and sometimes, as soon as you disconnect the gauges, it will start squirting out.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage 2.0L 4x4 Manual
10 Posts
Anybody have a part number for the compressor bearing kit referred to above by KiaDYIguy? I've got the same noise. Only 22k miles on this '09 L4.

·
Registered
2007 Sportage 2L 2WD LX, 5spd manual, 160,000 kms
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My thought is to just replace the compressor clutch assembly.

We discovered we need a replacement compressor. Will make certain the ports are new though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts