Kia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio LX
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,
I have a 07 Kia Rio LX with 165 K miles and the starter does not always engage when I turn the key. When it starts it starts fine. I did have an issue with the starter engaging when it was in Park and I was not turning the key. That appears to be fixed after pulling the ignition apart and cleaning up the back end with copper clean.

So sometimes it starts fine, other times it just winds up the starter and I have to return the key.\

Any ideas?

Thanks

added Factory starter replaced 5/6/2015 104240 miles because orig factory starter uninsolated braided wire between starter and solenoid was falling apart and would not start.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sticky or worn Bendix, repair or replace before you are stranded..

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio LX
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To clear things up a bit.
The starter would engage when the car was running and in park or N AND NOT turning the key. As noted above it does NOT do this anymore after pulling the ignition apart and cleaning the back of the it with copper cleaner.
Thanks I had the starter replaced once. I will have get under the car and see how hard it is to replace by myself.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio LX
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I agree. I waited too long.
I think because the part the lever pushes out is not smooth it messed up the lever? It should like picture below.
The bendix seems to move in and out fine. What should I use to lubricate it. Will look for new lever too and smooth out the part it pushes on.
Thanks

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts