Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am unable to open my gas tank door from the switch in the driver door. I must open the trunk and pull the manual release to open the gas tank door. Any ideas on what could be wrong and how to fix this??? << I am aware of the problems of having to push the switch multiple times and stretching the release spring to open this door ... This is not the problem I am raising. The switch does not work, at all. >>

(Background Info: This car had a small and paint scrape near the Gas Tank Door and wheel well, which was repaired in a body shop. The Side Panel was removed to do this, as was the front and back driver's side doors, the windshield and the back window. The switch stopped working almost 2 months after this repair.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found this link, which was very helpful. DIY: Fuel Door Actuator Lock Removal / Clean-Lube / Replacing - G35Driver

Using this as a general guide, I removed the liner panel from the trunk and gained access to the fuel door actuator. With my volt meter I discovered that power was not getting to the actuator.

I then removed the two screws on the bottom of the driver door and was able to get my hand behind the door panel, and pushed the switch out of the door from behind. Again, my handy volt meter was able to tell me that voltage was getting to the switch.

Using a pair of gaiter clips, I carefully shorted the terminals on the switch. Lo and Behold, the fuel door opened. The switch is bad and will be replaced within the week.

Thanks for the help!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts