1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Cerato '07, Toyota FZJ80 Landcruiser '97, Alfa Romeo 90 '85
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle: 2007 Cerato (Hatch). 2.0L Australia spec (RHD). Automatic. 67,000kms

Problem: Intermittent refusal to start.

Symptoms: Engine cranks over fine and seems to fire immediately for a split second, but won't continue to run with the ign key still turned to crank position. It's as though either fuel or spark is being cut after the first second of the start cycle. I installed a new battery yesterday-no difference. If I let it crank for seconds, I don't detect a strong fuel smell, so I don't believe it is flooding.

If it does start, it runs fine. No stutters, stalls or poor performance. So I don't suspect the fuel filter or fuel pump. Engine check light goes out soon after start (as it should).

It only happens occasionally. Did it again this morning and after trying unsuccessfully for some time, I walked away. Revisited it tonight and it started perfectly on the first attempt.

Is there some kind of switchover relay that could be the problem?

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
07 Cerato start problem

Hi, I noticed your post because I have had a very similar problem on my 07/08 Cerato. It does the same as yours but only on the first cold start of the day. After that it starts as it should first time, every time. I had the antenna coil replaced at Kia who claimed the codes for a fault in that part were showing up on their computer. It didn't fix the problem and they had it back last week for five days as there was only a limited window of opportunity for them to identify the problem. After five days they had had no success, saying a split-second is not enough time for any error codes to show up on their computer. If it starts happening more frequently I will take it back to them. However, I see you had no replies to your post and wonder if you were able to rectify the problem in your car in some way? If so, I would be very grateful to hear from you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi im new here.im wahid ftm Johannesburg south Africa.i recently purchased a 2005 sorrento 2.5 crdi st bank auction. Car starts n idles for 5 seconds n cuts off. U gotta wait a minute n it starts again lasts 5 seconds n Cutts off again. Diesel line is clear. Diagnostics shows p0403 error code. ..egr solenoid valve. I also noticed glow relay permanently energised snf ac pump clutch and cond fan relay keep clicking on n off constantly the minute ign is turned on...wit out engine running .rev counter work but speedo not reading. Can any1help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts