Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Sorento in October and have recently noticed that when leaving work ( granted its a bit of a rutted road) I hit the bump stops quite often. I have read a lot of poor words about the OE springs and that they're quite soft to begin with, and given that its done 107k I'm guessing springs are my issue. But looking at springs now, I'm not sure if I want to go OE again or go for one of the slight 30mm lifts I keep seeing. I'm also not sure about brands to go either way. I keep seeing King, OME, and Eibach. I'm also not entirely sure if I'd need to replace my shocks at the same time.

Any info and pointers would be appreciated,

Cheers

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,855 Posts
If you had an earlier prefacelift I would have guessed that someone had swapped out self-levelling dampers for regular ones. That does have a softening effect on the suspension since the springs/dampers have to be matched. The brands you mention tend to offer higher rated springs to raise the suspension height (usually 25-40mm). These are best fitted in sets of four. (IF you can get them!). Try looking for brands such as KYB which generally offer oem type replacements -BUT - make sure you get the correct year model since they differ from pre-facelift versions. (The spring diameter is different with different upper spring seats. Not all suppliers are so rigorous in checking their specs.) Not sure who makes what for now.

As an aside mine is also similar year and mileage. My most recent "big load" was last summer hauling 350kgs bagged cement and gravel. No issues at all except a bit over the sleeping policemen in our village. Before committing to anything substantial check the rear bump rubbers. Mine were well past their sell-by date when I replaced them. It might be a good first step to eliminate any problems there. (I did post on it).

And, while you are under there, check your trailing arms, axle brackets and chassis cross tubes for corrosion damage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might not dislike a slight lift providing the OE shocks would cope, but then I’m also unsure of how high it was when new, so a lift on top of new springs might be a little too high. I’ll get under it when I can and see what’s what, as I’m seeing springs that are a 115 ID and some are a 130 ID. It seems that if I was to do all new springs either OE or aftermarket, I’m looking around 200 for all four either way, (Eibach has a few kits for the JC sorento, unsure which is which yet)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Generally, front oem springs/dampers are similar spec for all uk models. Eibach rears are most likely for earlier models. I had a quick look at KYB European 2018 catalogue and could not see facelift rear springs listed. If you want: measure from wheel centre, vertically to bottom edge of wheel arch and I'll compare your results to mine. Rears are a relatively easy swap, fronts not so. I would stick to oem spec springs and dampers* and just do rears if there is a need. If you decide to change fronts, you might as well do dampers (struts) as well as they need to come off to do the springs.

*Facelift standard spec for UK does NOT include self-levelling dampers, so you should not need anything fancy (and horrendously expensive) compared to pre-facelift.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i think I’ve found my problem, I’ve had a quick look under and I can’t actually see bump stops on either side at the back end. I’m not entirely sure where they’d be but I can’t see them around the damper/spring arrangement

The rust isn’t too bad, quite a bit of flakey surface rust but that’s about it.

Both rear ends sit about 450mm and the fronts are 440mm

Cheers

·
Registered
1,855 Posts

I posted more info on UK sorento forum (see sig below)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Removal and replacement are not really a 'screw in' as mentioned elsewhere. Initially tried to unscrew, but the bump stops were effectively seized probably due to the bracket/cup being corroded. Found that compressing the upper part of the stop (to release) then pulling free sideways worked a charm.

The drivers side was completely disintegrating at the bottom of the stop (about 1/3 gone). The passenger side looked ok at first sight and would not have made me think they needed replacing. After removal, fatigue cracks were evident in several places especially the circumferential groves.

Cleaned out the bracket/cups with a rotary wire brush to try and ensure no remnants of the stops were left behind in the cup grooves. Quick spray with Hammerite and left to dry.

Replacement of the stops was much the same as removal. Used some plumber's grease to lubricate the stops where they fit into the cup. Compress slightly inwards and squeeze in. Rotated after to ensure they were secure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I don’t have bump stops on either side at the back, need to get some ordered and fit them, I’ll need to check that there’s actually still brackets/fitments attached to the car

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I don’t have the mounting brackets for the stops on either side at the back, I don’t get a look at the front but I assume they’re alright as o haven’t heard any noise from there,

where might I find new mounts? Ibe had a quick look on autooc but I can’t find anything

cheers

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
At least you have the mounting bolt! Never seen them actually disappear ..... I'm going to guess your best bet is a breaker. I doubt even Kia would have them, but I suppose you would need to ask. You will certainly need the correct part for your year. Pre-facelift has different types. (Facelift had some chassis mods). Fronts stops are fitted onto the struts to form part of the assembly. (I'll check the dimensions tomorrow, but I'm sure the bump stops should fix it.)

On the off chance, try SG Petch. Kia dealer that sells on-line.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The funny thing is, now I’m thinking back I know when at least one fell off, about 6 weeks ago I was coming back along a road I’d just driven and saw a bump stop on the roundabout and laughed about how some poor sod had lost theirs. They was me...

You don’t happen to have dimensions for the stops do you? eBay has these

Which look quite similar to the OE stops I can see, I’m wondering if the bracket is maybe a universal fit and just different rubbers

cheers

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Your issue with the mounting might be the stud size (not to mention removing the old rusted mounting bolt) - as it appears to be a fixed stud rather than the Kia bolt. Not sure about the size, but it seems about right. I'll have a rummage in the shed later and see if I kept the old one. [NOT going out in the rain to remove a wheel!)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No that’s fair enough, I’ve ordered a pair to see if they fit or not, might be able to drill out the bolt If it is fixed

cheers

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Both rear ends sit about 450mm and the fronts are 440mm
Mine are approx 455mm rear and 445mm averaged. Close enough :) (I have Koni FSD dampers all round).

I don't have the old stops. Sorry.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No worries, I’ll fit these if they can and see how that goes, I guess the stops will slow the suspension a little anyway which might make it feel better, it might not be springs that were my problem

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Sorento does tend to work on the bump stops. You will see there is not a lot of clearance when they are in position.

Did a quick search HERE
Someone mentions bolt is 13mm. There may be some info on other dimensions, but I have not read through it. (This where I found the initial info on replacement.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I read 13mm as well, I’ve got a breaker bar and an impact wrench so I’ll douse it in oil the next few days and the see what happens when the new stops arrive

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New stops fitted, they are a fixed bolt as you’d suspected but they’re the same size so they fit perfect. Used a plumbers wrench to tighten the housing down, they should do until o can find some OE ones

thanks for the help @gee6

·
Registered
KIA SORENTO XE 2004, 2.5 DIESEL
13 Posts
I bought the Sorento in October and have recently noticed that when leaving work ( granted its a bit of a rutted road) I hit the bump stops quite often. I have read a lot of poor words about the OE springs and that they're quite soft to begin with, and given that its done 107k I'm guessing springs are my issue. But looking at springs now, I'm not sure if I want to go OE again or go for one of the slight 30mm lifts I keep seeing. I'm also not sure about brands to go either way. I keep seeing King, OME, and Eibach. I'm also not entirely sure if I'd need to replace my shocks at the same time.

Any info and pointers would be appreciated,

Cheers
Scotland mm, we have relatives in Milngavie..anyway onto rear springs, I bought my Sorento for work, in air compressors, was great and carried them without a fuss, am now retired and feel with no weight on the back now, I wud like a softer suspension but everyone says you cant DO THAT?-So my question to you is, if you have had the suspension replaced for normal shockers and not self levellers that's a very HIGH COST, wud you say I cud put up with a soft suspension, does it give decent road holding etc?..I don't go down any rutted roads.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts