Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'06 Sportage V6 4WD - license plate bolt was rusted in place and when I tried to unbolt it, the head snapped off leaving the remainder of the bolt in the thread. I'm used to older cars with the Plastic "square" holders that could snap out and buy new ones if this happened but this one only seems to have the single hole for the threaded bolt.

So now there is only one bolt holding my license plate on and that makes me pretty nervous.

I checked KGIS for a diagram but nothing in the SI docs seems to have a diagram of the rear deck area with the bolts for the license plate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Quite often the number-plate attachment method is country-specific and not covered in the manuals etc.

One of my cars had very insecure front attachment points for our rather flimsy number plates (pressed aluminium). I made up a backing plate of mild steel which I was able to attach to the car quite firmly, and pop-riveted the number-plate to that in 6 places.

Something like that might work in your case. Trying to remove or drill out the broken bolt might cause damage; try attaching the backing plate via freshly drilled/tapped holes. Use rust protection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I'm in the US and realize the localization is different for license plate mounting hardware. Was hoping to avoid tapping out the screw, metal work, etc.

Anyone else have a simple solution? Can i get to the backside by removing the rear deck trim?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts