Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 sportage ex 2wd, 2002 Grand prix GTP (for now) 2015 Jetta SE (soon with more boost)
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I just bought a 2006 kia sportage lx 4wd. I have a few questions about the car. Im sure with some digging i could find out, but id like to hear from some owners of the car.

1. it shifts hard from 2nd to third alot and sometimes from 1st to 2nd, is this just a quirk of the transmission? its not slamming but its noticeable.

2. ive read different things about the 4wd system, ive read that its really just an awd system with a default bias to the front wheels, then ive read that unless you lock 4wd the rear wells dont get power. anyone know which one it is?

3. front wheel bearing failures, ive got a noise up front im sure its the tires but, im just wondering if the wheel bearings are a known failure point.

4. Failure points, What likes to break on these cars (from your experiences). from what i read they seem to be really reliable but with 130k i want to be ready to replace xyz. Im hoping to make it see 200k.

I appreciate any responses. Thank you

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Welcome ... never had a major problem with mine. Had a front strut bearing go bad but it was under warranty , dealer fixed it no charge + a loaner car. My car is a little hard on brakes & rotors.I replaced them twice within 90,000 miles. My car gets a constant 20 -25 mpg, V6 auto. not bad for VT mountains and snow. Maintenance is critical timing belt at 80,000 spark plugs at 100,000 . Not knowing the past maintenance i would start from the beginning , oil,trans, rears ,transfer case. Do a complete service. As for shifting i would start with a complete flush ,filter , fluid change. As for your regular service and repairs there is a kia site you can visit . kiateckinfo. free to joint but works best on internet explorer. Maybe others will respond with info. Hope this helps .
chief

·
Registered
2001 sportage ex 2wd, 2002 Grand prix GTP (for now) 2015 Jetta SE (soon with more boost)
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome ... never had a major problem with mine. Had a front strut bearing go bad but it was under warranty , dealer fixed it no charge + a loaner car. My car is a little hard on brakes & rotors.I replaced them twice within 90,000 miles. My car gets a constant 20 -25 mpg, V6 auto. not bad for VT mountains and snow. Maintenance is critical timing belt at 80,000 spark plugs at 100,000 . Not knowing the past maintenance i would start from the beginning , oil,trans, rears ,transfer case. Do a complete service. As for shifting i would start with a complete flush ,filter , fluid change. As for your regular service and repairs there is a kia site you can visit . kiateckinfo. free to joint but works best on internet explorer. Maybe others will respond with info. Hope this helps .
chief
I'm already planing to replace the timing belt and tesnioner next month, along with plugs filters and maybe wires (do i need them?) im going to get the tranny flushed, but i have read that to change the filter the tranny has to come out, is this true?

·
Registered
06 Sportage/2012 Navara V6 TD
305 Posts
The transmission filter) is a non serviceable item

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
From what i read that's what you have to do. Bad design. There must be a better way. While you doing the timing belt, check the water pump with 130,000 miles it may save some work . Wires 130 k good ideal .Theirs a sticky above on changing the plugs if its a v6.
While your getting the trans flush ask them if they know a short cut for doing the filter all they can say is no.
chief

·
Registered
09 Kia sportage. 13 Mazda CX9, 05 Mazda6, 97 Mazda 626, 92 Probe GT Turbo.
169 Posts
On my 09 v6 4wd, Its always in FWD mode with no power to the rear unless it experience traction issues. In which it automatically engages the RWD also. Otherwise i can physically put it in 4wd if i press the button.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts