Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good morning everyone. About a month ago, I ran into the store, ran back out, turned on my AC and it wouldn't blow. Not on heat, not on cool, no defrost, etc. I don't have a mechanic myself but was close to the Pepboys near my office, so I stopped in. 3 HOURS LATER (diagnostics should not take that long???) they determined it was my blower motor. They gave me the diagnostics paper, listed the blower motor as the issue. They wanted $500 to fix it. They had somehow gotten it working again but advised against using it until it was fixed.

I bought the blower motor from Autozone and paid a guy who works at a shop $60 to install it. He tried to hook it up to his computer but because the air was currently blow (due to whatever pepboys did), he was unable to test it. He put the new motor in and voila, AC!

A couple weeks later, ac goes out again. Same issue, no air flow at all, no matter what setting.

I have not had it looked at yet, but was wondering if anyone had similar issues? They specifically told me it was due to the motor, they never mentioned resistors, etc.

I have limited cash flow, so it's hard for me to be able to just drop it somewhere and let them rape me on the cost!!!

HELP! :confused:

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Check fuse . Is it running but not blowing ?
Check wiring at the blower motor and switch for burned or melted plastic connections. Check power supply into the motor with test light or volt meter.
You can remove the blower motor an bench test it for proper operation . You can do this test with the motor installed but it may be easier removed. If found bad return it for a new one. Test with a external 12 volt power supply bypassing the resister . It is also possible the resister is bad, testing the motor with out the resistor in play is advisable giving a better incite to your problem.
Chief

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chief, thanks for the suggestions!! I can hear a humming noise when I try to turn it on, but no airflow whatsoever. I will check into these!!! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Humming noise is a indication that it is getting power . If its a full 12 volts is not known until test are done.

Allypally do you still have those great cheese steak sandwiches ,sure do miss them ( orig. From jersey) none in vt.

Chief

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chief - Yes and they are delicioussss! :) Where in NJ?

I have had to put this on the back burner but will be addressing this hopefully next week. It was also suggested to me to try to change the blower motor relay switch.

I'll let ya know when I figure it out!!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Relay is a possibility / you can test motor by bypassing the relay 12 volts to motor. The switch is another possibility, test with a voltage meter or test light.

Jackson twp. Ocean county near great adventure.

Chief

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're not far!

So the gentleman that is working on my AC tells me that I need the motor resistor pigtail (something like that) - and that I'll need to get it from salvage.

Called a few times to salvage, haven't had my car in... Can't get this small part anywhere else because they keep telling me to get from salvage. Not sure what to do. He got the motor to work, female end was melted... TIPS?? :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Pig tail is the plastic plug with short wire/s . You have to cut the existing wires and use butt connectors to connect old to new. Many salvage yards don't want to be bothered with it no $$$ in it.
Try and find a salvage yard that will let you take your cheese steak and a pair of wire cutting pliers and get it yourself.
The plug should be replaced don't depend on temp. Repairs.
Good luck - chief

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sportage LX 2WD 2.0L.
25 Posts
Blower Motor Relay?

Change the Blower Motor Relay

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just had the blower motor go out too in my 06 Sportage. I can't even get down to SEE where the RESISTOR IS?!?!? I have the part, but have no idea where to find it. I can't get eyes down there. I am 6'3" and 250 lbs, which is probably the issue. Does anyone have a flat out PHOTO of its location??????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts