Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 45 minute commute to work, everything started up fine. My car is old and high kilometers (274750) so I do keep my radio quiet most of the time to really listen for any sounds out of the ordinary.

About 25 minutes into my commute it sounded as if there were keys rattling in the hood of my car, I was a little concerned but everything looked fine when I pulled over to check it out, when I pulled away everything felt fine as well.

About 10 minutes from work at a kind stranger at a stop light let me know ALL of the lights on the back of my car were out. I don't think it's connected but it seems like an odd coincidence, considering I watched my SO drive away at the beginning of the week with all the lights working.

By the time I reached work my car was over heating, stinky, and it sounded like a diesel. It also was leaking something, but the liquid has no smell. Coolant maybe?

Any ideas? I'll have to take it to a shop obviously, but I'd like to have some idea before I pay too much for a fix.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Sorry to hear of your distressing trouble from a normally VERY DEPENDABLE vehicle. Unfortunate that your description on symptoms does not lend for any knowledgeable suggestions as to what happened or what needs repair. Is the oil still full, coolant full, liquid sprayed all over the engine compartment? There are many different things that could have happened, but with no past service history given or the sense that you are not a DIY'er, the best is to post what the shop has to say specifically as to what is wrong and then maybe we here can help you in repair decisions. Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
hmmm...
antifreeze would have a sweet smell...
Sounds like you possibly may have a water pump going bad...(not moving coolant and engine overheating)...
Sounds like a diesel, runs hot,fluid leaking...Possibly a blown head gasket...

The timing belt should be replaced EVERY 5yrs or 60k Miles and the water pump should be replaced every other timing belt replacement... If the water pump freezes the engine would overheat and could blow a head gasket...

Not knowing the repair history of the car these are just guesses...

A noisy exhaust can be caused by a bad flexible exhaust pipe but we don't know if/when it may have broken... (same time?)...

These poor little cars maintenance usually get ignored later on in their life and failure is just a short time away...
Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts