Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Member here.. Thank you for any help you can offer..:

It appears I've lost my only key to 2006 Spectra ES.. No remote - never really used it and do not need it.
Anyway..dealer here in Miami is being sketchy - called one time and one guy told me if they have it in stock or even order it it would run $40-60, but needed last 8 of VIN. I ran out to get it, called back, new guy on phone did not bother to check the VIN and quickly declared it would cost me $120. When I mentioned the previous price that was told to me he reluctantly checked VIN and magically lowered the price to $89..
At any rate I'm not confident in this bozo and I'm in between jobs so either price is not real attractive right now.
I'm thinking I can make a copy with a locksmith via the trunk lock if I take it off and take it to a shop which I assume would save me some $$..
Questions:
- Does anyone know if the key will need to be programmed by dealer? It had one of the thick black hold bases but I'm not 100% sure if it is magnetic.
- Has anyone used an independent key locksmith to do something like this and how did it work out...?

Any advice, input would be much appreciated as I'm in a real bind otherwise...
Thanks!
Keyless in Miami...:confused:

·
Registered
06 KIA Spec5, 2000 HD Roadking
1,515 Posts
We did not get chipped keys here in the U.S. First off, I would go to a different dealer, the one you are dealing with sounds kinda shady. I do'nt think you could make an ignition key using the lock in the trunk. I would think a competent locksmith could make you a key to your ignition, but it would probably cost close to what a dealer would charge.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra LX, BMW e34 & e46
34 Posts
Have you tried another dealer in your area? I would run, not walk, away from the one you are dealing with now. Even if he magically lowered the price to $89, what happened to the first guy that said $40-60? I would not take that answer at all.
These are simple keys without a chip as Kiazilla mentioned. However, do not go to a regular locksmith. I imagine there are certain "teeth" on the key that the ignition tumbler will recognize that the trunk lock will not, and therefore your locksmith-made key may be useless. Do it right, go to a dealer that will charge you in the vicinity of the first estimate.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,925 Posts
I go with the advise of the others above...
When I bought my 98 Ford Contour in 2000 out of the boneyard I had the local ford dealer punch out a new key from only the VIN# and while I waited.
As said above the USA model is not "chipped" and the key should not be too expensive or hard to get. Call a few dealers and explain the problem to the Parts guy..
If you can wait contact cobra259 with a pm here...He's a parts manager at a KIA Dealership and a good guy.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
It just killl's me sometime......when they are fools working at a dealership!!! Your key is a whopping $9.00!! List price! They are either clueless at your dealer or worse, "just" trying to ROB you! Don't know which is worse! Call someone else! This is the part # for your uncut Kia key blank 81996 2F000. As long as the dealership you call has a the correct key cutting machine, (to cut a key fron a key code/vin#) you should be fine! Any more help you need just ask.

·
Registered
SPECTRA (TRADED),CADILLAC (TRADED), ACURA MDX, SUZUKI KIZASHI, FORD FOCUS
21 Posts
It just killl's me sometime......when they are fools working at a dealership!!! Your key is a whopping $9.00!! List price! They are either clueless at your dealer or worse, "just" trying to ROB you! Don't know which is worse! Call someone else! This is the part # for your uncut Kia key blank 81996 2F000. As long as the dealership you call has a the correct key cutting machine, (to cut a key fron a key code/vin#) you should be fine! Any more help you need just ask.
Personally any adult that only keeps and has one key deserves whatever they get. :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
bmw
1 Posts
Glad you've solved your problem but for anyone else reading this thread, there is another way. Take your title to a bonded Locksmith. He can look up your lock code using your VIN assuming you've got ID showing you're the person who the bike is titled to. My local locksmith provided this service for me on an 86 Kawasaki. He cut the key in minutes and charged less than $10.00 for the service and key. If you want this done on a Suzuki blank, you had better plan on purchasing one and carrying it with you since they are not normally stocked by locksmiths.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,925 Posts
4 year old thread and the OP was talking about a 2006 Spectra (a car not a bike)...
Cobra had it right when he said the KIA dealership should charge $9.00 to cut a key...
I had a 2008 Hyundai Accent key (same key) cut for that price...
Dave

Reactions: cobra259
1 - 9 of 9 Posts