Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 kia sorrento
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suggestions please. My daughter's 06 sorrento died on her while at the store check engine light came on as well. She tried to start it and it died immediately again. I had it towed to shop. Mechanic has had it for 3 days said the code is reading for the crankshaft positioning sensor and that it's an expensive job that takes about 5 hours to replace. He said he's drove it, and ran it for 3 days without it causing him any problems. So he said because it's been running great and it's going to cost me 1000 to replace it what do I want to do? I have no idea on this question. Can anyone offer suggestions to me? If the light is on wouldn't that tell him it needs replaced?

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,007 Posts
First advice would be to find a qualified mechanic that has the skills and equipment to diagnose this issue.

The crank sensor error code doesn't necessarily mean the sensor has failed and is only the starting point in the diagnostics process.

·
Registered
04 Sorento LX 4-wd
186 Posts
Suggestions please. My daughter's 06 sorrento died on her while at the store check engine light came on as well. She tried to start it and it died immediately again. I had it towed to shop. Mechanic has had it for 3 days said the code is reading for the crankshaft positioning sensor and that it's an expensive job that takes about 5 hours to replace. He said he's drove it, and ran it for 3 days without it causing him any problems. So he said because it's been running great and it's going to cost me 1000 to replace it what do I want to do? I have no idea on this question. Can anyone offer suggestions to me? If the light is on wouldn't that tell him it needs replaced?
Many years ago my 04, 3.5 L developed an intermittent symptom where it would just die. Wait 10 minutes and it would start fine. It happened several times over a few months. One day when returning from the local ski area I was on the main highway doing about 75mph and the engine stuttered for a moment. Then about two minutes later the same thing happened but this time it died. I coasted to the shoulder an waited a while to see if it started. No luck. Had it towed to the dealer --about 30 miles back into town --on a Sunday. The security guard let the tow truck drop It in the service area. The problem was the cam position sensor. It was about a $900 job because they have to remove the front of the engine. IN the US, in order to maintain the 100,000 mile warrantee the timing belt had to be replaced at 60,000 miles. since I was near that I told him to change it. That is also a $900 job for the same reason. This time I got both the Sensor an belt done and saved a 2nd $900 charge that would be required in less than 5000 miles.

·
Registered
2006 kia sorrento
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: Well since this happened the Crankshaft positioning sensor has been replaced, the car immediately started having a terrible misfire. It's been in the shop for over a week, the ignition coil wire harness has been replaced, the ignition coil, the camshaft sensor and I 2 sensors. I got a call 2 days ago and he said he can't get it running so he'll continue looking into it. Just called this morning and said they are ordering a new computer. So afraid this is going to cost me more then the car is worth. It did have the timing belt changed 1 year ago.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,007 Posts
Update: Well since this happened the Crankshaft positioning sensor has been replaced, the car immediately started having a terrible misfire. It's been in the shop for over a week, the ignition coil wire harness has been replaced, the ignition coil, the camshaft sensor and I 2 sensors. I got a call 2 days ago and he said he can't get it running so he'll continue looking into it. Just called this morning and said they are ordering a new computer. So afraid this is going to cost me more then the car is worth. It did have the timing belt changed 1 year ago.
That has the hallmarks of a wannabe mechanic and destined to cost you a whole lot more than a legit service shop would charge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts