Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 kia sorento, 1995 ford mustang
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've recently had the timing belt to go out on my 06 Sorento and damaged my heads. I've replaced the heads with rebuilt ones and it started and ran fine until I went back in to retorque the head bolts. After I put the plenum back on and put all the vacuum hoses and wiring back in place it wil start for a second or two, barely even idles, then dies. The only code it throws is for the mass air flow sensor, saying the voltage is low. When it does run it acts like it is starving for fuel but i pulled the plugs just to double check them and they looked to be fouled with fuel. I replaced them with new plugs no difference. Vehicle only has 89k miles on it. Will the mass air flow sensor cause this?

·
Registered
2007 Rio5, 2012 Sorento EX-V6
113 Posts
My only guess is you either a) have a vacuum leak, or b) possibly switch some sensor connectors around. I am not sure if you can on your particular vehicle, but on mine the tps iac connectors are the same and can be switched..I would suggest double checking your work... Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went back and double and triple checked my connectors to make sure I had everything plugged in correct

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,174 Posts
I've recently had the timing belt to go out on my 06 Sorento and damaged my heads. I've replaced the heads with rebuilt ones and it started and ran fine until I went back in to retorque the head bolts. After I put the plenum back on and put all the vacuum hoses and wiring back in place it wil start for a second or two, barely even idles, then dies. The only code it throws is for the mass air flow sensor, saying the voltage is low. When it does run it acts like it is starving for fuel but i pulled the plugs just to double check them and they looked to be fouled with fuel. I replaced them with new plugs no difference. Vehicle only has 89k miles on it. Will the mass air flow sensor cause this?
Did you remove the engine ground strap (runs between the battery ground point -> motor) ?

Would check to make sure you have good ground to the motor..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Changed the cam sensor...no change...still runs for 20-30 secs then shuts down and won't start again for a while...smells strongly of raw fuel...MAF looks clean....got it out and plan to clean it but I dont have high hopes for it changing things. Have went back in to check the timing belt...hadnt slipped but I think I did dodge a very big bullet...the NEW tensioner had failed. I thought it was allowing the timing to bounce slightly out but it didnt seem to have any affect when I changed the tensioner and tightened the belt. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Check the crank angle sensor and reluctor blades, might have gotten damaged when the belt went and doesn't always throw a code immediately.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still stumped...broke down and took it to the garage and they aren't quite sure themselves but here's the new info. Compression check has been done..all good. Timing is perfect. Changed the MAF, cam sensor and MAP sensor...no vacuum leaks. we have ohmed all the sensors and have found that the sensors on the passenger side of the vehicle(MAF, O2 sensors, etc) are basically dead...arent reading anything. Garage thinks it is the computer, Are they right?

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
1,294 Posts
A 15 amp fuse feeds the MAF sensor and o2 sensors check for a blown fuse.
Make you installed the vacuum hose for the fuel pressure regulator. Make sure all ground wires are installed especially the one by the Pcv valve.
Voltage to MAF doesn't go through the computer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts