Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

New to the forum, what an awesome resource! I've spent some time searching posts, and it's pretty apparent that my particular issue has happened to quite a few members. I thought it might be helpful to compile the suggestions that I've read, compare them to my particular symptoms, and hopefully get some feedback on the issue. In short, I've stalled and lost power a few times. Power loss has occurred most often during deceleration or idling, and once during acceleration to highway speed. There is no check engine light, and a handheld reader showed no codes. Details are below.

Make:
Kia Sorento LX, 2006, 2WD, Automatic, 75K miles

Stalls 1 and 2:
- Idling in drive (red light) and lost power
- Started up again no problem
- No problems in motion
- Idling in neutral was rough, but no stalling
- Gas tank < 1/2
- Weather was 40-50°F, light rain

Stall 3:
- Stalled during acceleration to highway speed, power loss at ~40 mph
- Lost power steering/breaks shortly after engine cut out
- Restarted just fine
- Gas tank < 1/2
- Weather was 40-50°F, heavy rain

Stall 4:
- Stalled sometime during switch from deceleration to acceleration (red light change)
- Lost power steering/breaks shortly after engine cut out
- Restarted just fine
- All dash lights lit up, but turned off during restart
- Gas tank < 1/2
- Weather was 40-50°F, no rain

From my reading, it seems like there are several suspects that may be causing my issue, but I would love to narrow things down with some input. Besides my symptoms, the only data points I have are that the timing belt and air filters were recently replaced. All my leads are listed below.

- Replace fuel filter
- Clean the fuel system
- Clean the Idle Air Control Valve
- Check/replace plugs
- Check/replace ignition coils
- Change camshaft position sensor

You guys have any advice, or notice anything of particular interest? I would love to hear any input before I start replacing parts, and would be happy to clarify any points or add observations if possible.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
Can't say for sure, but it seems like it was doing the same thing mine was when the camshaft and crankshaft sensors were starting to go. My T&C minivan shared similar symptoms a couple years prior, and only worked once both cam and crank sensors were replaced in it also. About half the time I would get a code, the other times it would kick out before the code could be stored.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Sounds like a crank / cam sensor to me too. If you leave it long enough it will eventually take longer and longer to start back up. Then one day, it won't. The 3.5 V6 is notorious for this, even the Mitsubishi 3.5 it was copied from were the same, ask any 3.5 Pajero, Montero owner.

·
Registered
2004 Sorento
33 Posts
Sounds like a crank / cam sensor to me too. If you leave it long enough it will eventually take longer and longer to start back up. Then one day, it won't. The 3.5 V6 is notorious for this, even the Mitsubishi 3.5 it was copied from were the same, ask any 3.5 Pajero, Montero owner.
this /\... the other items you listed will certainly cause problems but rarely stalling, and if it was a coil/IAC etc when it re-starts there would likely be obvious other symptoms. No ck eng lamp lit up (yet)?:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thanks for all of your input!

No check engine lamp yet, but I also haven't stalled out since the fourth incident... Is there a quick way to narrow in on whether the cam or the crank sensor is the more likely issue? Or would it be more worthwhile to just replace both while I'm at it?

·
Registered
2004 Sorento
33 Posts
If you have access to a scan tool you can check to see if either sensor has set a pending code to narrow it down. You could just replace both but the cam sensor is a 45 minute job (taking your time) and you only need remove the driver`s side upper cover to access it, the crank sensor on the other hand is basically the same job as doing a timing belt...much more work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately, the hand held reader didn't show any codes. Stalled again yesterday and I had the reader with me, so I checked for codes before restarting and still got nothing.

Ordered the camshaft sensor, so will replace it this weekend and update with results!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, results are in. Replaced the camshaft position sensor and everything was great... for 24 hours. Lost power once more, couldn't restart this time, and FINALLY got a code - crankshaft position sensor. Bummer. You guys were spot on though, cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts