Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento LX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, does anyone know how to convert the odometer reading frm KM to Miles in a 2006 Kia Sorento? I moved from Canada to the US and brought my Sorento with me. I'm trying to trade it in on a new one, but the dealer won't take it on a trade unless the odometer is converted. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,483 Posts
:00000732:to the US

If it is a Kia dealer THEY should be able to tell you and do it.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento LX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, nstoolman1. Good to be here.

I tried that and they don't want to do any work to ern my business. There are only 2 Kia dealerships in Tucson and they both don't want the car on a trade-in.

I thought I could convert the odometer to miles and then try to sell the car privately.

If I replace my current instrument cluster with one from the same US model, will it display in miles? Does the ECM need to be re-programmed for US as well?

Again, thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Maybe one day the US will join most of the rest of the world. We changed over in the 19'70's and haven't looked back. It certainly does wonders for trade with Europe and Asia. Even the English have half heartedly given up on thier strange system of measurement that must have originated from some six fingered mutant. ( I guess it must be hard for the British to accept anything French) I work on a number of projects with a US based scientific standards agency, and even there they have some strange US only, metric variants (which to their credit they are trying to stamp out of general use in the new standards).

Regarding your question I wonder if the speed sensor in the transfer case is different from KPH to MPH models or if the difference is in the ECU., or if the only difference is the instrument cluster. Since the majoity of Kia's market is metric I would guess that the imperial verstion is a simple mod on a basic metric system, rather than the other way around.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
I have noticed that the odometer reading the is stored in the instrument cluster is different to the one stored in the ECU (or wherever else its stored.)
So swapping the instrument cluster, you would probably have to reprogram an accurate mileage to reflect the distance that is has travelled. After that i guess it should just keep going on and ticking over the miles as if it were kays.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,483 Posts
Mine reads in fathoms. :lol: :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts