Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 KIA RIO SW RIO5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving down the highway and died, only light was battery light. But, electrical system all seems ok, no engine light and no codes show up. Doesn’t seem to “fire” when crank over. Have had to replace a coil in recent past, but would they all go at once? Did smell a bit of gas trying to turn over at one point, but didn’t turn over excessively nor pump/floor it (I didn’t think)).

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
139 Posts
Was the engine able to start up again immediately after it died?
Or did you have to wait a while to get it to start?
Or has it never started again since?

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,390 Posts
IF the OP responds to post #2, a bit of maint history should be in order to get some help and NOT conjecture(guesses).
A lot could have happened out on the road with an 06 timing belt driven engine that's 14 years old.

Reactions: Lou O. and ron1004

·
Registered
2006 KIA RIO SW RIO5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was the engine able to start up again immediately after it died?
Or did you have to wait a while to get it to start?
Or has it never started again since?
Wouldn’t start yesterday. Had it towed home and let it sit till this afternoon. Tried to start it. It had a couple of not in time small “wombs” under the hood when turning over using the starter and then those quit. Just turns over without firing. Stopped cause I could hear it was dragging the battery.

Replaced one ignition coil about a year ago, was planning to do regular oil change shortly. Has had regular maintenance and other than an ignition coil previously, it’s had all it’s maintenance. Was haven’t driven a lot with the lockdown but at least 2-3 times a week. Had just gone by a friend’s place about 3 miles away to look at something in his garage, stayed about 45 minutes, was almost all the way back when it quit. Just died but rolled along nicely on the highway allowing me to pull over and stop.

·
Registered
2006 KIA RIO SW RIO5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IF the OP responds to post #2, a bit of maint history should be in order to get some help and NOT conjecture(guesses).
A lot could have happened out on the road with an 06 timing belt driven engine that's 14 years old.
See response to previous
Included some maintenance history

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,390 Posts
Yes I read, BUT did the TIMING BELT ever get replaced? from the sounds of your last posting, the "wombs" could be a sign of broken timing belt. Crank spins from the starter, but the valves in the cylinder head are not operating or in time with crank shaft rotation. A potential grenaded motor, as this is an "interference fit" valve train motor.
Can you see if there is an upper removable timing belt cover(on the crank pulley side) of the engine to see if the timing belt is intact?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,992 Posts
it’s had all it’s maintenance.
What does that mean?

What's the mileage?

What oil change interval, oil used, and oil filter used?

When last was the timing belt changed?

·
Registered
2006 KIA RIO SW RIO5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has not had the timing belt replaced by me, 134.7k miles. It’s second hand, bought it as a beater to kick about in. Have all the records, will check through to confirm but am unaware of timing belt replacement. Do know l changed out ignition coil last year, and it was done before as well.

·
Registered
2006 KIA RIO SW RIO5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don’t see a timing belt cover, but haven’t pulled the cover over the engine. Will do that; yes I know I need to check all the cabling too, just figured it was bigger than that given it had been running smoothly. Just hoping to get some pointers. Will report back when I’ve torn it apart more.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,992 Posts
it’s had all it’s maintenance.
What does that mean?

What's the mileage?

What oil change interval, oil used, and oil filter used?

When last was the timing belt changed?
It has not had the timing belt replaced by me, 134.7k miles. It’s second hand, bought it as a beater to kick about in. Have all the records, will check through to confirm but am unaware of timing belt replacement. Do know l changed out ignition coil last year, and it was done before as well.
Sounds like it hasn't had all its maintenance.

The timing belt is your most likely culprit here, but we'll wait for you to report back.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio 5
8 Posts
Sounds exactly like what happened to my 06. Completely died on the Interstate. Almost like I turned off the key. Broken timing belt. Junked the motor. Able to have the heads remanufactured. But bought a brand new short block from Kia. Recommends changing belt every 60k. There is a window on the side of the cover to see if it’s broken or not

1 - 11 of 11 Posts