Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'll admit it. I'm a girl and know nothing about cars. I have a 2006 kia rio with the following engine codes...

po446

po171

po496

What do these mean? How can I fix them cheaply? Thanks!

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 2016 Kia Optima SXL, 2019 Kia Soul Plus
1,110 Posts
Ok, I'll admit it. I'm a girl and know nothing about cars. I have a 2006 kia rio with the following engine codes...

po446

po171

po496

What do these mean? How can I fix them cheaply? Thanks!
P0446 EVAP Emission System Vent Control Circuit
-Probably the CCV (Canister Close Valve), this is located under the vehicle by the fuel tank.

P0171 System Too Lean
-Check your air intake boot, the boot between the air filter box and intake manifold. Due to the age, the boot has probably cracked. Remove it completely and flex it while inspecting it.

P0496 EVAP Emission System High Purge Flow
-Possibly the PCSV (Purge Control Solenoid Valve), this is located next to the throttle body.

If you haven't already, create a free login at Kia Global Information System (KGIS). This is the same information us Kia techs use to diagnose vehicles. It also shows you where to locate the DTC related parts. Best of luck.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Where do you live?

You where able to get the codes did you try clearing them and seeing if they return?

I always clear a code the 1st time and wait to see if it returns before I get concerned.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,117 Posts
Where do you live?

You where able to get the codes did you try clearing them and seeing if they return?

I always clear a code the 1st time and wait to see if it returns before I get concerned.
Moved topic. This is not performance thread this is a rio thread.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,117 Posts
Moved topic. This is not performance thread this is a rio thread.
Well this is the 2nd move unless I forgot the first time. This is not a performance thread.

·
Registered
2007 KIA RIO 5-door (hatch)
8 Posts
Okay, call me goofy, but how or where to you get to see these codes?

I had a Fiat Uno before upgrading to the KIA. :p

·
Registered
2010 Kia Soul + and Ford Ranger STX 4x4
42 Posts
Okay, call me goofy, but how or where to you get to see these codes?

I had a Fiat Uno before upgrading to the KIA. :p
You need a scan tool!!

Awilson was wondering do you ever overfill your fuel tank after the nozzle shuts off???

I do agree with having the codes cleared first and then recheck. May have a bad vent control valve as a good possiblity - clear first though and see what happens!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
P0446 EVAP Emission System Vent Control Circuit
-Probably the CCV (Canister Close Valve), this is located under the vehicle by the fuel tank.

P0171 System Too Lean
-Check your air intake boot, the boot between the air filter box and intake manifold. Due to the age, the boot has probably cracked. Remove it completely and flex it while inspecting it.

P0496 EVAP Emission System High Purge Flow
-Possibly the PCSV (Purge Control Solenoid Valve), this is located next to the throttle body.

If you haven't already, create a free login at Kia Global Information System (KGIS). This is the same information us Kia techs use to diagnose vehicles. It also shows you where to locate the DTC related parts. Best of luck.
I also have a the Code p0496 on my '06 kia rio. Is the purge solenoid attached to talve body or next to it? what does it look like, How do I test it? How do I clear the code, Remove the battery?
Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Location of 2007 Kia Rio Purge Solenoid Valve

I couldn't find any info on the purge valve for the 2007 Kia Rio, so I'm posting these pics...

The purge valve is located below the intake manifold; making it a pain to get to... (you'll want some small hands and really long needle nose pliers)

The hose coming from the fuel tank was easy to remove. The hose connected to the intake manifold was impossible to remove without destroying it.

I bought a replacement hose at Oreilly for about $3.

There's a rubber piece that holds the purge valve in place. I had to used an exacto knife to cut it off the metal plate it's mounted to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
These are pictures of the original purge valve I removed from my Rio:

2 prong electrical connection

This is the replacement part I bought ($30 on eBay. It looks exactly like the original one)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just an update on this purge valve fix...

The check engine light stayed on after I replaced the valve. It turned off after about the 10th time of starting my car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check Engine

Check Engine light keeps coming on in my Kia Rio Cinco A/T. It does not start every time I fill gas. The car some times struggles (as if the engine is going to stop) to move if stopped at the signals. There was no error code logged in ECM. What could be the fault. Please provide me some information. Thank you

·
Registered
2011 Kia Soul...owned 3 years
9 Posts
Check Engine light keeps coming on in my Kia Rio Cinco A/T. It does not start every time I fill gas. The car some times struggles (as if the engine is going to stop) to move if stopped at the signals. There was no error code logged in ECM. What could be the fault. Please provide me some information. Thank you
If your check engine light is on when the car is running....you HAVE to have a code!

If you had $9.32 an hour counter person from OReilly or Autozone....that could be why you have no stored code.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts