Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm a recent purchaser of a Used '06 Kia Cerato with roughly 80000k's on it. Hubby noticed when driving it home that there were issues with the Clutch (have to fully remove foot before getting movement). From what I've read it maybe a common issue (absolutely kicking myself I didn't organise the Prepurchase Inspection myself) but wanting to know if any other peep's preferably in Australia had this problem & was it expensive???
Thanks in advance for your replies, I hope some1 can help put My mind at ease :D:D:D

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
There are no adjustment bolts for clutch release.

There should be an "inspection" plate on the bottom of the bell housing.
You might want to have the clutch disk inspected by your mechanic..
It may be worn down and close to failing. If so the parts are not too expensive ($150 US) but the labor would be...
The trans-axle would have to be dropped to replace the clutch disk, pressure plate, and throw out bearing...
The GOOD thing is the car is a well built one and the petrol/gas engine can last 300k miles/485k km if well taken care of after repairing the clutch..
We have all kinds of help here if you need it..
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply :)

I spoke to my Dad's Mechanic this arvo & he mentioned Hydraulic Clutch (not sure if he misheard the Model of car) but that sounded expensive. Have it booked in for a check up in the morning. Fingers crossed it's not an expensive mistake on My part :/ as my Hubby thinks it's a really good buy & I like it. But the Dealership who sold it have said if anything major happens to let them know.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
The clutch is hydraulic.. This means the clutch is pushed in by fluid in a piston instead of by mechanical linkage. Very similar to the hydraulic brakes used in all cars.

The clutch itself is a standard design, clutch disk (friction material that wears), Pressure plate, and throw out bearing... Even with replacing the clutch if you average out the repair over it's lifetime you will still do OK. An independent mechanic would cost less than a KIA dealer to do the job.
Good Luck!
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, have learnt the lesson of 'taking cars back to the dealership for Service's Repair's etc' but Hubby also spoke to Mechanic at his Job & he said that He would have a look at it next wk (no patience needed to know now, lol) but once he checked & if it needs replacing We just have to source parts & he'd replace free of charge Hubby just has to Help him :) After reading all this, Mind is def' a lil at ease just hate the fact of possibly having to fork out more money after only having it for a day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts