Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new to the site.... And my sorento too :)

I just bought a 3.5 with the crank gone,it has spun no.6 big end shell knack erring the rod too.

My question.. This seems to be a mitsi derived engine yeh?
Does anybody know how close they kept this? ... As in will a short motor from a mitsi swap over with my heads ect on it?, looking at the cheapest way to correct my problem...
Any help appreciated..thanks again

Dave (from uk)

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
I believe it is a proper built under licence copy. However I'm not sure that you coul put the Kia heads on a Mitsu block, in case they (Hyundai) made minor changes to the oil or water passages, bolt locations, etc. After all sometimes you can't do this even with different years of production of the "same" engine from the same manufactrurer, due to minor manufacturing changes and "improvemnts"
Best thing would be to if possible, compare your Kia bits with the equivalent Mitsubishi bits. An alternative would be to swap over the entire engine, just put on the Kia fuel injection and ancillaries.
In Australia, a popular swap is a Mitusibishi Magna 3.5 V6 (Australian manufactured , FWD sedan, east west layout variant) for for a blown Pajero (Japan manufactured north south, 4WD variant)
All that is needed is to strip off al the FWD bits off the Magna engine, and bolt on the equivalent RWD bits from the blown Pajero engine. All the bosses are correctly drilled and tapped for either application. So it would seem that Mitsubishi production is pretty tightly controlled regardless of the application or manufacturer,, so you may be in luck.
Wikipedia lists the Mitsubishi 3.5 quad cam and the Hyundai 3.5 Sigma engine as identical specs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, yes the thought did cross my mind to go that way, but I noticed the coil on plug difference, so rocker covers ect may be different.

My crank is in right now being tested and ground, and hopefully the rod can be closed down and bored back to size.
Fingers crossed eh?

Thanks again,

Ps. Anybody tell me a good shell, pump, gasket, supplier in the states that will post out to the UK?

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
The Mitsubishi 6G74 engine seems to have the exact coil on plug setup.

Good luck with your rebuild anyway!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts