Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have a 2005 Sorento EX. It has 135,000 miles on it. The 4WD and 4LO lights stay on, on the dash. When you turn the 4WD knob from 2WD to 4WD, it will not go in 4WD. It just stays in 2WD all the time. Also, it doesn't shift right either. It shifts way to quickly, it will be in 5th gear by 40mph. If you are cruising down the interstate at about 65 mph and put the gas pedal to the floor, it will only downshift 1 gear and the rpms won't go past 4,000.

Sometimes the lights do go off and when they do, the transmission shifts fine.

I had it at the dealer today & they found the codes P0176 & P0763.

P0176 is Input/turbine speed sensor A circuit no signal
P0763 is shift control solenoid valve C electrical.

They told me that its an internal transmission problem & I need to replace the transmission.

Do I really need to replace the transmission?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, none of the fluids have been changed. I took out the TCCM fuse and now the transmission shifts like it should. (I don't have 4WD though). I know the dealer said to replace the transmission, but I know how they like to throw parts at vehicles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ever? With 135k miles, maybe they should have been (at least twice).

Kia have a set procedure that dealer has to go through before ordering a replacement transmission. They just can't look at the codes and say "new transmission". Procedure is available at http://www.kiatechinfo.com under 'Publications' -> 'Technical Service Bulletins' -> 'TRA003r'

With the fuse removed, do the dash lights go out?
No, I agree that the fluids should have been changed but this is not my car so idk.

Yes when the fuse is removed, the dash lights do go out and the transmission shifts normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.