Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have a 2005 Sorento EX. It has 135,000 miles on it. The 4WD and 4LO lights stay on, on the dash. When you turn the 4WD knob from 2WD to 4WD, it will not go in 4WD. It just stays in 2WD all the time. Also, it doesn't shift right either. It shifts way to quickly, it will be in 5th gear by 40mph. If you are cruising down the interstate at about 65 mph and put the gas pedal to the floor, it will only downshift 1 gear and the rpms won't go past 4,000.

Sometimes the lights do go off and when they do, the transmission shifts fine.

I had it at the dealer today & they found the codes P0176 & P0763.

P0176 is Input/turbine speed sensor A circuit no signal
P0763 is shift control solenoid valve C electrical.

They told me that its an internal transmission problem & I need to replace the transmission.

Do I really need to replace the transmission?

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
With regards to both 4wd lights staying on, this is a somewhat semi common issue.
When both lights on, i get no codes and the transmission does shift too early.
As you also say, when the codes go off, back to normal.

Try replacing the actual switch that you turn the knob on to change the 4wd modes.

Here is some previous posts about it

http://www.kia-forums.com/2003-2010-sorento-forum/79629-4w-low-wont-engage-need-help.html

Dont go second hand, i was quoted $80 AUD for a new one from kia.

After i bought a second hand one, haha.
Also spray some electrical contact cleaner on the plug that you plug the switch into.

Now knowing more about the transmission and you saying it feels normal when the lights do not display, i would say it doesn't need replacing. But when i get the issue, i do not get the codes. DO you know if they pulled the codes out of the OBD2 port, or some other port?

Also when it does go back to normal (no lights on dash) get the dealer to read the codes, and do the same codes display?

Also checked your fluid level?
Might be worth a transmission fluid change after you buy the switch if things go back to normal.

Being the switch is relatively cheap, I would just go buy one.
OR, if you want, go buy some electrical contact cleaner unplug it, spray it all over, make sure it goes inside and let it dry, then put it back together. This trick seemed to last about a month of no issues for me.

One last thing, there is a fuse you can pull for the 4wd system, forgot which one. THen there are no lights on the dash. Maybe do that and take it to the dealer and get the codes pulled see if the transmission codes are still there. But you have no 4wd then.

·
Registered
267 Posts
to get it running back to normal (not shifting so early) try and pull the fuse as a temporary measure.
From memory it goes back normal shifting patterns as there is no error code.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The fuse should be in the drivers side kick panel lebeled:

13. TCCS - Transfer case control unit (20A)

·
Registered
267 Posts
When they both go off, stay stationary and put it into 4wd and low. Keep putting it into both 4wd and low on a regular basis. (at the start every day if you have to.

Things i have noticed:
1. If you dont drive it for a while, it will happen (both lights on)
2. Some times this help. When starting, turn the key to just before start, wait for both lights to go out for a while (hope they dont come back on) and then start it.
3. Go on some lawn/sand and fish tail it a little. Sometimes after this it comes good. (must be sensor of some sort). It comes good a couple minutes after driving normally.
4. Take it for a LONG drive (1 hour) non stop. This usually cleared it for me.

But the main thing is when they do go off keep putting it into 4hi and 4 low. Just need to put it into those gears, dont really need to drive around once switched in. keeps something lubed or something i guess..

Lastly get a can of electrical contact cleaner and spray the back of the switch and the plug that plugs into the switch. Let dry, put back together and drive (the contact cleaner gave me a month of no issues on a regular basis. That is why i thought it was the switch, then with regular driving, didn't get the issue after i pulled the switch apart and lubed.) So it could also be the contact plug if the contact cleaner works.

·
Diesel Pro
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,961 Posts
Coming to this subject late ... off the wall thoughts.

You have a reported transmission problem (by codes). The transmission ecu and Transfer case control unit have electronic links, so the transmission ecu is probably preventing the TCCU from functioning (fail safe?).

Have you had the transmission fluid changed? (recommended)
Are you using the recommended ATF. (5 speed - 'Kia Red1' only recommended ATF)
Have you had the transmission flushed? (not recommended)

Generally the transmission is not servicable internally, hence the suggestion by a dealer for replacement. Kia would send for refurbishment by their internal program and then put it back into service as a replacement unit for future user. (It's in their T&C's).

Answers to above questions may generate further thoughts. :mellow:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, none of the fluids have been changed. I took out the TCCM fuse and now the transmission shifts like it should. (I don't have 4WD though). I know the dealer said to replace the transmission, but I know how they like to throw parts at vehicles.

·
Diesel Pro
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,961 Posts
No, none of the fluids have been changed.
Ever? With 135k miles, maybe they should have been (at least twice).

Kia have a set procedure that dealer has to go through before ordering a replacement transmission. They just can't look at the codes and say "new transmission". Procedure is available at http://www.kiatechinfo.com under 'Publications' -> 'Technical Service Bulletins' -> 'TRA003r'

With the fuse removed, do the dash lights go out?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi, i have this issue today.
I constantly have it on and off, and as soon as i spun the wheels, both lights went off and 4wd worked.

I went onto a hill that has grass on it. A high school. Both lights on, go up the hill in rwd mode (as cant put it into 4wd) slowly and then as soon as both the rear wheels started to spin, both lights when off, and i could shift into 4wd.

I am thinking the 4wd switch (or lights) must be connected to the wheel speed sensors or something? I have the 2006 with LSD and no traction control, only ABS.

Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ever? With 135k miles, maybe they should have been (at least twice).

Kia have a set procedure that dealer has to go through before ordering a replacement transmission. They just can't look at the codes and say "new transmission". Procedure is available at http://www.kiatechinfo.com under 'Publications' -> 'Technical Service Bulletins' -> 'TRA003r'

With the fuse removed, do the dash lights go out?
No, I agree that the fluids should have been changed but this is not my car so idk.

Yes when the fuse is removed, the dash lights do go out and the transmission shifts normal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts