Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! So I did something so stupid. In all my years of hooking up jumper cables, I've never hooked the cables up backwards... But I did. I was using my stang to jump off my 600 dollar sportage to do a compression check while diagnosing the no start issue. When I hooked the cables up, the sporty started blaring like it was broken into, I thought I had triggered an alarm system by tampering with it(The key was still in the ignition in the on position, because I had previously tried starting it on the battery). It did that for probably 10 seconds before I realized what I had done. Stupid I know, but the battery terminals weren't disgustingly marked in my defense.

Damage report is as follows; The a/c didn't work, blower or compressor(fixed). The windows wouldn't work(fixed). Radio wouldn't work(fixed). Gauge lights, climate control light, and gears selector lights, not fixed.
Now I've checked every fuse I can find, and nothing. I've looked at shopkey schematics for anything, I've taken the cluster out, the a/c & radio bezel, the center console, just looking for something. An inline fuse, burnt wires, anything. I found nothing.

I need help. I'm all out of options. I can't see any of my gauges at night(Something I really need atm, being I recently go the car running). Thank you.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I do not have wiring schematics for yours, but did you check the bigger (non- blade)rectangular fuses. or it may have "smoked" the headlamp switch or wires. GOOD LUCK! You got most of things back already...Keep going!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not have wiring schematics for yours, but did you check the bigger (non- blade)rectangular fuses. or it may have "smoked" the headlamp switch or wires. GOOD LUCK! You got most of things back already...Keep going!
Yes, I checked those. The ones in the engine bay's fuse block, right? I've checked every fuse and relay I can find... I removed the headlight switch and tested it and it seemed to check out. The taillights and head lights work with no issues. I've looked at pretty much every wire I can without removing the dash. The gauge cluster still illuminates, I separately hooked 12v to it and it worked, so that can't be the problem. This is the most irritating thing I've ever done with a car, I'd honestly rather put another head on it two times again, than try and continue to solve this issue....Seriously... :|

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Did you check the dash brightness control switch?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Well if from there to output to dash cluster, there must be a broken or "smoked" power wire or even a ground wire connection. You have already checked component end /beginning points and they are good, so the problem must lie in between them. JUST where YOU will have to find it, as wiring breaks can happen at any given point in it's length. Good Luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well if from there to output to dash cluster, there must be a broken or "smoked" power wire or even a ground wire connection. You have already checked component end /beginning points and they are good, so the problem must lie in between them. JUST where YOU will have to find it, as wiring breaks can happen at any given point in it's length. Good Luck!
Thanks again for the help. But I determined the cluster wasn't getting a positive source for the gauge lights. I decided to run a jumper wire from the tail lights to the positive on the dimmer switch. I soldered after the tail fuse to keep it safe. It must have burnt a wire some where behind the dash where I can't inspect it. Btw, is it normal to not be able to flash your high beams unless your head lights are on, on these cars???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts