Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was helping my friend switch out his old tranny for another tranny. I took down the subframe and forgot to unbolt the rack and pinion from the subframe and it came down when the subframe came down. So when we go back to put everything back, i thought i would just push the rack and pinion up. It came down with a leverage that was holding onto the steering column i believe. Now i have no idea how to get the steering column to work again. The wheel just turns 180 degrees and locks into place as if it is turning right. Here was the picture of how it looks like after taking the rack and pinion out again. I cannot seem to find where it is connected too. I need help to solve this issue because it is driving me crazy! lol

This is how it came off with the rack and pinion. Looking through the bushing where it is connected through the firewall i cannot seem to find what was connecting on to this.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,925 Posts
Hi...
I had the experiance of replacing the rack-n-pinion on my 06 Spec.
The piece with the u-joint in picture #2 is supposed to be part of the steering column and should have stayed inside the car. The bolt that secures it to the RnP is loosened and the rack drops down... The other end you have in question goes up into the center of the steering column... It had to take some effort to pull this apart.

Your biggest problem you have not found yet... The steering column has what is called a clock spring that makes the connections for the air bag/horn/cruse control and by moving the steering wheel to it's extremes you may have damaged the clock spring...
It is normally limited in it's far clockwise and counter clockwise movements by the limits within the rack-n-pinion.
To work on the rack you need to tie down the steering wheel dead center BEFORE removing the rack.
I hope you can get the steering gears back together and you haven't damaged the clock spring.
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advise. It is giving me a headache. I might try to pull the whole steering column out from the inside tomorrow morning. If still cant figure it out i guess it is going to kia for them to figure it out. Dont want to send it to them cause they charge a lot . Lol

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,925 Posts
Grab a column from a local junk/salvage yard. (with key) minus the airbag (you can use the old one)... If you do this DISCONNECT the battery BEFORE removing the steering column or air bag... OTHERWISE you will SET a BLOWN air bag code that will cause you big bucks to fix... Reconnect the battery after you re-assemble the car..
They should be plentyful at the yards and reasonably cheap (minus the air bag and steering wheel). Your steering wheel is leather wrapped (SX and 5s) so you may want to use it again. None of this is really hard to do...just time consuming...
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts