Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 Spectra SX which is basically the same as the Spectra5 just without the fifth door so Spectra5 owners might be able to help me out here since there are only like two Spectra SX sedan owners here. My question is is the suspension on these cars really sensitive? When I go down the road I feel every little bump and defect in the road. Is this normal? Am I being paronoid for nothing?? I only notice it while doing city driving. On the highway its much better.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
78 Posts
with the 50 series rubber, and the sport tuned suspension, you WILL feel more than you did with your Sorento, or especially more than the LX/EX spectra.

The SX/spec5 is tuned into more of a sporty sub compact and more appicable for SCCA, and that would transduce more vibrations, expansion joints would feel larger, etc...

Think its bad in the SX? Go test drive an EvoVIII/WRX-STI...

HTH

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. My Sorento did ride pretty smooth. Im also used to driving my wifes Optima which just floats down the road.....its really smooth. Other than that its a great car. A blast to drive. Atleast now I know I dont have anything wrong with my car. :liebe011:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I noticed that on my test drive. The Spec5 and Elantra GT have similar suspensions, but the the Kia has bigger rims/lower profile tires, so you feel a lot more of the road.

Personally, I don't like it. I haven't bought yet, and if it comes down to Elantra vs. Spec5, the question is going to be ride quality (Elantra) vs. styling (Spec5).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tires could also be to blame.
I don't mean size and height, but brand.

Here in the Netherlands KIA's are delivered with Hankook tires.
They last long being a bit harder compound, but that also negatively influences the feel (you feel every little bump) and they earlier slide sideways while cornering on a wet road.

As i didn't want to change my brand new tires when i just bought the Shuma II (2nd gen Spectra) i have used them up and will exchange them this fall for wintertires and in the spring for summertires.
I need that better contact when it is raining and the better comfort and also extra safety. :gunsmilie:

Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi! just bought an '06 sx. it road rougher that i remember from previous test drives. checked tire pressure & found 40psi. llowered to 28-30 & greatly improved the ride! 50 profile tire have a big footprint, so may be able to lower to ~25 psi. my last car did great with 25psi & 50 profile. no dif. in milage or cornereing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts