Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Spectra LX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2005 spectra lx without the foglight option. I was wondering a few things about making a complete (or close as possible) oem fog light install to my car. There were a few things I was curious about as I'm by no means a mechanic or electrician, but have friends who are to help and want this to be a learning experience for me.

1- I'm assuming the "faux lights" in the portholes where the real lights are supposed to be are just inserts that can be easily removed?

2- How big of a job am I looking at? I also want to swap out my column switch for the one with the fog option on it. Or if it turns out to be too much of a hassle, where can i get a decent looking switch that will look nice in the car?

3- If I install the new column switch, am i going to need to replace the wiring harness that mounts into it altogether for one that supports fog lights in case mine doesn't.

4- Assuming everything goes well and I get the column switch installed, is my current gauge cluster already equipped with the necessary equipment so when I switch on the fogs, the fog dash light will illuminate?

5- Is there anything else I should know about?

Any help is appreciated :)

·
Registered
SPECTRA (TRADED),CADILLAC (TRADED), ACURA MDX, SUZUKI KIZASHI, FORD FOCUS
21 Posts
Don't kill yourself. All you need are the fog lights, a switch and the wiring.
1. put in the new foglights (after removing the covers)
2. find the spot where you want the switch on the dash
3. attach one wire to a good ground from the foglight plug
and
4. attach the other end to the fuse box ( a circuit like the headlights)
5. attach another wire from the fuse box circuit to the switch and the other from the switch to another good ground.
That should do it. In all reality it should only take a couple of hours.

·
Registered
2005 Spectra LX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I'm aware of the standard procedure.. however the kicker is that I want it controlled by a new column switch as mine currently doesn't have the fog light switch on it. Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
I would bet your wiring harness will not support the multifunction light switch and a harness replacement would be required... I know the Specs that came without the Fogs do not have the wiring up front also. The manual method without a relay will also allow the fogs to stay on after the ignition id shut off leaving you with a possible dead battery.
If you use a switch to control a relay fed B+ by the ignition and allow the relay contacts to be fed by a 15AMP fuse (constant B+) to the fogs then when the ignition is OFF so will your Fogs...
There have been past posts on the "lack" of accessory wiring.
Dave

·
Registered
2005 Spectra LX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the input, I know this is completely apples and oranges but I saw a video on youtube of a guy doing the exact procedure I described with an altima and all he had to do was swap out the column switch and wire everything into the fusebox basically. But again, its apples and oranges.

I may go into my dealer and talk to one of the machanics and see what they know.

If I were to track down a compatible harness, would it be a big job to change it? Also I heard I may have to replace the computer? I want to get all my facts straight before I decide to jump in and end up digging myself into a hole.

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
Computers (actually microprocessors) would not be needed to be replaced.
The wiring to the fog lamps will be missing. Look behind the dummy covers in the bumper cover... I guess you could changeout the wiring harnesses/fuse panel/etc.. with ones from a Spectra SX/5 "donor" model from the bone yard but the function of the lights would still be the same... It's not uncommon to require complete wiring harness changes between 4cly and V6s and AC models and non-AC models... I just don't think it's worth the trouble when a few wires and components will serve the purpose...
Just my view...
Dave

·
Registered
2005 Spectra LX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the support Dave, I'm thinking as long as the harness going into the column switch is the same, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. The reason why I'm so gung-ho about this is the fact that I don't like the look of most aftermarket switches that mount into the dash, unless I can find one that looks really good in my car. But like I said, I'll head into the dealer sometime and ask to see what they know.

For all I know it might be an identical harness except it might be missing the fog wires which I dont think would be all that difficult to attatch new ones.

Does anyone know where I'd be able to get an aftermarket switch that looks halfway decent?

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
When I installed OEM Fog lights in my 1998 Ford contour I used a switch that I mounted into the dash that looked like these except the LED was red.
5Pcs New 12V Round Rocker Dot Boat Car Auto Blue LED Light Toggle Switch SPST | eBay
I placed it in a area that was away from the car manufactors switches and used the parking/running light B+ feed through this switch to the coil of the relay and then to ground. The LED would remind me that they were on and if I shut off the parking/running lights they shut off with them. I then fed the relay switch contacts (N/O and Common) with a 15 Amp fuse off of an always hot +12v line from there to the center terminals of both fog lamps and the other lamp connections to ground. For 10 years I used this circuit without a single problem and never worried or gave a second thought about their operation...
Radio shack may still have these lighted switches... They really looked good mounted in the dash and looked "stock".

·
Registered
2005 Spectra LX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the insight. Went to the dealer and also did a lot of digging and found this site: Kia Parts - Authentic OEM Kia Parts Direct | Kia Parts Overstock

Here I found part and assembly diagrams along with part #'s. And discovered, and just for the record in case anyone else asks, the wiring harness is different for the fog light option and the harness will cost a few hundred bucks.

So, I found a set of OEM lamps off ebay and might get those as well as the switch that was suggested before. Will look nice in my car as I'm changing the gauge cluster from green to blue anyway.

Thanks for the help everyone! Greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
how can you change the gauge cluster from green to blue? i dont believe thats there is a mrket for guages for spectras or spectra5

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
I bought 50 WHITE LEDs from "bestshop2008hk" 18 months ago. They are surface mount (soldered in).
Here's a link for a different dealer with even double the amount (100) and less money on ebay.
100 pcs 3528 SMD 1210 PLCC 2 White LED For Car Dash Board Light DIY | eBay

You need reasonable soldering skills and good solder (Kester or Multicore)

I replaced the LEDs in the OEM radio (same ones) but would NOT recommend this for the "beginner" as the LCD display has to be de-soldered from the main display board and then it has to be taken apart to gain access to the LEDs.

SOO much better than the pea soup green LEDs...
Streetkiaz.com has a thread on doing this mod...
Dave

·
Registered
06 KIA Spec5, 2000 HD Roadking
1,515 Posts
You can change the LED's on your cluster, power lock/window buttons, your climate controls, and your airbag light. You can also change the color of your clock. I have done my entire car and some clocks and clusters for friends. There is a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it is fairly easy. I also did my stock radio, now that was a challenge!:eek:There are a couple of great how to's over on Streekiaz. If you decide to do this PM me and I will give you some tips that are not in the how tos.;)

·
Registered
06 KIA Spec5, 2000 HD Roadking
1,515 Posts
P.S. Use a switch for your foggies and save yourself some major headaches trying to rewire or replace the stalk. Agood place to put a switch is on one of the little panels to your left next to the dimmer switch. It is quite possible that if you put a bulb in the cluster light socket for the foggies that it will work when you turn on your foggies. I will shut up now.:banana:

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
i just purchase the blue led from the same seller in china for $3.50 now i will wait another 3 weeks for them to deliver.. lol

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dave can u post the thread from Streetkias to here?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dave, I finally got to install the new Blue led to replace the nasty green factory light thats on the dash. it was not as hard as i thought. it took me 2.5 hours because i had drive around and set my speedo, tach, temp and gas guage right. but its fairly easy unless you got a shaky hand like me. I never notice that till now.. lol but anyways i wan wondering how do you go about changing the rest like the clock climate control door switches and such, cause i pulled the clock out and the LCD is soldered in the board and theres like 30pins on it or sumtin. so i asume its the same with the climate control and such. any pointers or tricks to get it out safely and how bout the other like the switches and such.

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts