Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have babied my Spectra since the day I drove it home from the dealer. It is garaged every night. Over time I have replaced every hose/belt/fitting/rubber thing there is. Never had a major problem. Just recently replaced the front O2 sensor per codes and it fired up fine and the codes for that went away.

The check engine light goes on and off randomly but it is for a single P0449 code which is the evap vent solenoid located on top of the gas tank and is very labor expensive to fix but doesn't affect my mileage, plus I live in an area that doesn't require emissions testing (lucky), so I'm ignoring that. I simply check the codes to make sure there are no others and then reset it.

Would like to know what to expect from now on, since it has hit 200k miles (still on original clutch!) The second gear synchros are starting to go and I'm replacing those at the end of this month along with the entire steering rack & pump. What is the longevity of these cars? What's going to break next, any stats on this? It's been a wonderful commuter and I'm sad to see that Kia stopped making this model.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,923 Posts
Mushu....
Congratulations on the 200k on your Spec..
They are good cars...
The good thing is that they are under valued and the engines and trannys are cheap to replace... I'm lucky to have two Specs and mine has only 43k... I hope when it comes time I can replace them at the same costs...
If you are going to keep your Spec and the body is in good shape...you might want to research replacing the drive train in the near future...
I just found an engine with 8k miles on it for $700 and the auto trannys are $300 "if" you look for them...A thousand dollars isn't much by todays dollar...
BTW they were for some posters here on kia-forums!

Try car-part.com and search a radius of 200~300miles around you... The salvage yard IS the GREEN way to keep your car going and to recycle good low mileage parts instead of crushing them..

I am by NO WAY an environmentalist...and don't believe in the "carbon credits"...We should be USING coal instead of buying oil from people who hate us... It just makes sense to rebuild a good car.

The evap vent valve is replaceable and has been done by posters here on the forum..
You might get your hands dirty crawling under the car but it's not labor intensive..

I take care of all of our car repairs and have saved thousands over what dealers and insurance companies want to charge...

Search for "ericthecarguy.com" for some common sense ideas...
Hope you can get many more miles out of your KIA...
Dave

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
I also had the p0449 code evap selonoid on the tank. I replaced it the hardway, meaning taking the whole tank off to replaced the seloniod. but all you really have to do is unbolt the strap bolt lower the tank a bit remove fuel pump cover inside the car stick your hand in the whole to access 2 10mm bolts that holds the charcoil canester and the breather filter for it removed a couple plugs also thers another 10mm bolt next to the seloniod holding the bracket for the canister and the whole thing should come off.

also. be caurefull about connecting the new selonoid to the breather because the 2 small little tab can easily break you have to push down on it really hard with the gasket and turn to lock it.if not done correctly it will break the tab lock and the new seloniod will be useless.

what causes this code: when you over fill your gas tank alot. when the pump stop dont put nomore gas on it.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,923 Posts
tt2jzgtes...
I've copied your info so that I may pass it on in the future to others...
I will acknowledge it as your post...
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts