Kia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just purchased a 2005 Spectra EX. It has a keyless entry but it was missing from the car, and I am waiting for the dealer to get me a replacment. My question is, does this car have an alarm conected to the keyless entry. If so ,is it activated or does someone have to do it.
:)

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra
183 Posts
My U.S. spec 2004.5 Spectra EX *does* have a factory "alarm" feature.

If the trunk or any door is opened withOUT first unlocking the door or trunk with the key or FOB, then the horn starts blaring and the lights flash.

I found this out by accident one day when I got out, locked the doors with the FOB, and unlocked the trunk with the FOB. I subsequently got distracted and forgot to get the item out of the trunk that I wanted.

Upon going out to the car (now withOUT my keys handy) to retrieve the item, and knowing that I had unlocked the trunk already, the horn and flashers start doing their thing as I lift the trunk lid.

After absorbing the initial surprise, I then had to perform the usual scramble-for-the-car-keys-before-the-neighbors-get-p***ed routine! :)

So.... THAT'S how I know my new Spectra EX is equipped with an alarm!

-SM

http://spectraman.freeservers.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes... I had a similar incident with my 2004.5 Spectra. I had the window rolled down, got out, and without thinking locked the doors just because I am so used to locking the doors with the key FOB after I get out. After I got inside my house, I realized I left something in the car, ran outside and grabbed the door handle only to find it was locked. Seeing that the window was down, I reached inside to open the door (why would you lock the door when the window is down - defeats the purpose) and to my surprise the horn started to honk and lights flash. I had to run all the way back inside and find my keys... So I guess there is some type of alarm. The dealer never told me of it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
How funny! I also found out by accident that my 2005 Spectra EX has an alarm...I was playing around trying to fool my daughter while we were inside the car, parked in the driveway. She was messing with the door lock on her side of the car and I was playing with the key FOB...needless to say, when the door was opened from the inside all hell broke loose! I found out that by inserting the key in the ignition and turning it on the alarm was shut off. heh. Dealer never told me, and the owner's manual doesn't say anything about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My uncle who works as a manager at kia told me straight up not to trust the factory alarm because of a bunch of universal keyless remotes that were stolen while on freight for about 400,000 different kia models. I have a viper alarm installed on my Kia spectra ex.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hmmm... I've heard that one before. Not to say anything bad, I'm sure your uncle actually did tell you that. But it ranks right up there with how anyone can look through your windshield, copy down your VIN number from the little tag, go to the dealer and tell the secretary there that you lost your key FOB, show them YOUR own ID, and they will order you a new key FOB for "your" car...then you don't need to break a window or use a slim-jim to steal a car. I think both stories are on the "urban myths" website...

Yet, it does make sense to get your own alarm system if you feel that strongly about it. For me, my car is parked in a parking garage all day at work so if anyone sets off the alarm I won't know about it anyway...and with new alloy wheels those locking lug nuts made sense too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've tried all of the above recommendations on setting off my alarm from my 05 Spectra EX but with no luck.

When I activate my door lock using my FOB I do not see any lights flashing but I do see lights flashing twice when I unlock my doors using the FOB. Do you guys get the same results?

Any recommendations on how I can get my built in alarm working? Would anyone know if a missing relay, fuse or both would disable this feature? Thanks!

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
When I lock my car I see the lights flash once and when I unlock it they flash twice. So you cant even set it off by sitting in the car and lock it by using the key fob then just open the door? I just looked at both fuse panels and couldnt find anything for the alarm system. They only thing that I did find that was close to it would be in the panel in the car and the fuse is the rke (remote keyless entry) but if your car locks that fuse it fine. Im now stumped on this issue. Has your car been like this since you bought it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am the second owner of this car.

I called a local KIA dealer here in Las Vegas and spoke with the service manager on how to activate the factory installed alarm system. He told me to press the lock button twice. I told him that I had already tried that and it did not work. He said that you are better off installing an aftermarket alarm system. I asked the guy why if I already have an alarm system installed from the factory. I also asked the same guy what it would take to get the factory alarm system to work. He told me it would cost $4,000.00 because they would have to change out wire harnesses. I told the service manager for $4,000.00 I could hire a thug to camp out in my car while I am away from it. I failed to mention to this guy that I have working knowledge of cars but then again why beat a dead horse.

I have more positive results searching around on this forum site.

I just noticed in the owner’s manual of a 05 Spectra, page 4-60. It states Theft-Alarm System (If Equipped). So I am guessing my ride is free game as of now.

Their must be a module or an add-on part of some sort that is tied to the keyless entry system to make this alarm feature to work. If I find an answer to this mystery I will let you guys know. If someone has the answer with a part number please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
my Canadian model spectra5 has factory alarm but its mainly intrusion, it wont go off if someone hits or rocks the car. not sure if it has some kind of starter kill in it either?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts