Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
05 spectra 2.0L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently did timing belt and rotated cam without crank and not sure if I got everything lined back up right. It cranks but shuts back up or runs really rough

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,844 Posts
I'm pretty sure that a non-interference engine but will ask @DavesSpectra to confirm.

Post a photo with each of the timing marks aligned and we can see if it looks right.

Good practice to rotate by hand a few revs and recheck timing mark alignment before attempting a start.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
Hi
The 2004.5 up to the 2008 Spectras ARE interference type engines... As Ron says it's good practice to rotate the engine 2 rotations after replacing the TB... There are good posts in this forum about doing the TB properly...
Take your time and double check your work...
Dave

Reactions: ron1004

·
Registered
05 spectra 2.0L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I rotated the engine without timing belt on several rotations. How do you find tdc again? And how do I know if I screwed up the engine? Also I stripped out tensioner bolt when I was resembling everything. How do I fix that?

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX
30 Posts
Well I rotated the engine without timing belt on several rotations. How do you find tdc again? And how do I know if I screwed up the engine? Also I stripped out tensioner bolt when I was resembling everything. How do I fix that?
Can you borrow a borescope to look into the cylinder to see if the pistons are damaged? As far as the tensioner threads being stripped, you can Heli-coil new threads. If the pistons are damaged your valves are also been damaged, suggest replacing it with a used engine.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
Mayt092
TDC can be found by using a dowl rod in the #1 cylinder spark plug hole.. move the crank slowly clockwise until the dowl rod is at it's highest point... A stripped out bolt hole can be repaired by using a helicoil insert..
Do a Google search for "heli-coil" for help...
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts