Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed 215/50HR/17 tires on new alloy wheels (+40 offset). Awesome look and driving feel, a lot less bodyroll when cornering hard. However, the overall radius of wheel is about 16 mm taller than OEM. Yes, the speedo/odometer reading is slightly off because of that (<5%, indicated speed is less than actual speed). For example, if odometer says I drove 100 miles, the actual distance was about 104~105 miles. That's better than the other way around.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra
14 Posts
I would love to see pics also. I have been wondering about different wheel and tire sizes or just tire sizes on stock wheels for my 05' Spectra5 with manual to try and help the tach reading at highway speeds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I Just ordered some
Motegi-Rims-MR4-18GM - Motegi Wheels MR4 18x8 inch Gun Metal Offset FWD
- Wheel and Tire Package , 4 Wheels/4 Kumho 711 225/40/18 Add , 1,309.00
From what the company is telling me they will fit with no Scrubbing I will send in the befor and after pix/ and the debadging befor and after. Muahaha

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
4 Posts
Chaz, The front strut brace (standard on spec 5/ 5speed) would be the next step to handle the extra torque on the front end with those tires.

Vic

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the strut advice.
At this time my wife is driving it mostly and I don't think she would need it. A couple of years later, it will be my turn as usual. :banana:

BTW, the 17" tire (right rear) inner edge was barely rubbing on the very tip of the strut base (where spring sits). It was really scary coming home even thoug it was only 10 min drive. As soon as I got home I had to grind off 1 or 2 mm's of the metal of the strut base - no big deal, just a 5 minute job. All the other wheels were OK somehow. My aftermarket rims have +40 offset and I would think 45+ offset shouldn't have this problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts