Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Spectra5
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
car seems eager to downshift when passing or overtaking, but is lazy to upshift back to OD after cruising. It will shift to OD when i fully release the gas pedal, and then resume cruising speed which tells me its at least capable of upshifting. I read a thread a while back about a cold solder joint on a board inside the transmission causing no upshift, but in my case its conditional... Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
How many miles on your Kia? Ever change the trans fluid?

·
Registered
2007 Spectra5
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bought it with 93K and now has 97K, dont know if its ever been flushed. What ATF type does the Spectra5 use? And how many Qts does it take?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
I would be careful with "flushing" the transmission with the miles that are on it...
I'd rather do this...
I would say unbolt one side of transmission pan and drain the fluid into a large transmission fluid catch container. Then drop the transmission pan, clean the pan, and replace the internal filter and the old pan gasket. Measure the amount removed and replace with the same amount..
Six to seven quarts of "Diamond III" type should be enough..
Valvoline makes "Valvoline Maxlife ATF fluid" that meets and/or exceeds KIAs requirements and is available at WalMart.
here's some info..
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-YuNuTyh57XZ2N4Y1R2UUlMemM/edit?usp=sharing
Dave

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
i used about 8 in mines when i replaced my transmission. kia dealer said if your just flushing it from the bottom it should only take about 5-6.

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
tt2jzgtes...
Did you ever get the other Spectra that you went to buy with tranny troubles?
There is another current thread on the forum that the poster was having problems removing the automatic from the engine...Can you give him a "heads up" on how...?
Dave

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
tt2jzgtes...
Did you ever get the other Spectra that you went to buy with tranny troubles?
There is another current thread on the forum that the poster was having problems removing the automatic from the engine...Can you give him a "heads up" on how...?
Dave
No i didint get the car. only because he lied about the body damage and the interior was so bad it looked like racoons and dog slept in it.

But look what i found im looking at this car tomorrow. might need an engine thats why im asking you if you can find me one for $500.00

kia spectra

Why is that?
when replacing oil trans fluid sometimes the debris are keeping the trans from working by replacing the trans fluid some of that debris/metal shavings gets drained out and your trans might not work or gets worst than before you replaced the fluid. also what dave might have been talking about is the use of trans fluid. I used royal purple before the good and expensive stuff but made my trans slip like its on ice skate. went to the dealer and got diamond III and works like a charm.

·
Registered
2007 Spectra5
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got around to doing a trans flush today. Had my oil and filter all lined up, pry'd open the oil pan and found no trans oil filter in there?? Just a bunch of wiring and solenoids. Where is the filter? Pretty sure I opened up the correct oil pan, the one sitting side ways, facing the radiator and just below the battery...Please help!!! need the car back up and running by Sunday night

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
I believe the 05 does not have an accessible transmission fluid filter (side mount pan). The 06 on has a bottom mounted pan and does have a filter just inside. So just clean out the pan and refill.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
What did to fluid look like? Did it smell burnt?

·
Registered
2007 Spectra5
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Dark brownish color. It does kinda have a burnt smell, but I'm not sure what trans fluid is supposed to smell like, other than oil. I know differential oil smells nasty:)

·
Registered
265 Posts
yeah I know im late but yeah our trans have internal filter meaning you will have to take the trans apart to get to it. and yeah trans fluid is suppose to be pinkish red and smell like cherries. kidding

1 - 13 of 13 Posts