Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I been reading this forum for a couple of years... first time i have had to ask..
05 Sorento Automatic trans 92000 KMS
Had a radom misfire code for 2& 5 I think back in Feb..replaced all the coil packs and spark plugs...the light went away but didnt help my gas milleage issue and still was sluggish

Got advice from a couple of mechanics who both said the catalyic converters were plugging up...punched out the 2 small ones on the exhaust manifold and that didnt help.... took it to a KIA dealership today they said the same thing but check the other converter ..... I did that and you can see throgh it so its not plugged... i drove it with the converter off it and NO difference..

While it was at the dealership today they also checked the timming and looked at the belt but everything was OK...

I dont know were to look or what to do now.... there are NO CODES showing...

Could it be a computer issue or transmission????

THANKS for any help

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento EX
401 Posts

Just remove the P/TRN Fuse for a few minutes and that will reset your gearbox back to normal mode instead of the sluggish mode it is in now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If I am not mistaken your vehicle may have a recall for replacing the ICV (induction control valve). SC073. If this recall is still needed on your car, go have it done. It replaces your ICV that have been known to break and loose scews that fall into the head and cause a big problem. Your untake runners may be sluggish not allowing good air flow.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dealer says no recalls needed
Still no codes showing other than efficency for catalytic converters (I punched out the 2 pre converters on the exhaust manifold)

Its getting worse as far as the sluggish part goes.... if you acelerate really slow it will build up to speed and crusie along 120 130 KMs .... but dont try to pass anybody and you loose all your momentium at a hill..

Anyway I am down now to putting a fuel pump on it when it gets here
Can anybody tell me where the fuel pump regulator is?????????? .... That was suggested to me to try that as well

Thanks

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I changed out the fuel pump assembly with no difference then the fuel pressure regulator and no change..... i dont no where to go next..... the check engine light is not on.... it seems to work better with hi-test gas but saying that means its just barely driveable.... when I first got it at 48000 kms it had all kids of power

Now you have to feed the pedal slowly to get up to speed after that it goes good untill you get to a hill

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Have you checked the O2 sensors and the mass air sensor?

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,514 Posts
Let us not forget the Throttle Position Switch. Or TPS as it is commonly called.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With no codes how do I check them other than swapping them out???

Actually I got an apoit. with another dealer on Thursday... I think this is my last Kia

·
Diesel Pro
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,957 Posts
With no codes how do I check them other than swapping them out???
You do what the old guys call "diagnostics". That's experience plus test equipment .... multimeter, air-flow, maybe even an oscilliscope. Your right, that equipment costs money. Which is why mechanics charge fees.

So, you 'punched out the pre cats'. Obviously there was a problem that caused that action. Now the upstream and downstream sensors are trying to figure out and compensate for the new problem created, which they probably cannot do.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

I think this is my last Kia
small mercies.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They were punched out because there was no codes and its common that a converter can either break apart inside and or plug up. It also didn't change how it works after I punched them out

As far as the money, mechanics and equipment go ....i will pay if they tell me what it is or fix it. But in my case the dealer said if there are no codes and its a guessing game for him...and he also indicated it was exhaust .... but after taking the other converter off and looking through it its not plugged and I ran it with the converter off so its not the muffler plugged

Anyway heade to another kia dealer tomorrow

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SO I MIGHT HAVE IT FIXED

I haven't got it back but they found the crankshaft gear had the backing plate that the crankshaft sensor reads from was broke off and the keyway was worn about twice its size so i assume it made it act like it had jumped a tooth or so

The bolt didnt back out either but he said it could of been tighter

I will post after i get it back on the final outcome

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So that was the problem....the crank gear for the timing belt wore inside on the key-way and put the engine out of time... as well the backing plate on the same gear that the sensor reads from broke free ... i don't understand how it even run

anyway got lots of power now and seems to run good.... check engine came back on but i need to replace the 2 per-converters..

SO MY CONCLUSION IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THESE WITH A LOSS OF POWER AND USING GAS AND YOUR HAVING TROUBLE FINDING THE PROBLEM ......CHECK THE TIMING VERY CAREFULLY......

The codes I got back where random misfire on whatever cylinder.....which lead me down the path of coils and plugs and that was certainly wrong and then on to the converters .....wrong again

Hope this helps somebody ...I am not saying that this is always the problem but if you cant find anything it could be this........ its not anything easy to check either since you have to tear it down the same as changing the timing belt in order to find the problem

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
Thank You for taking the time to post what you found and it's cure...
I'm sure you WILL eventually help someone somewhere in this world with the same problem.
The early 2000 Sportages had a similar problem with the woodruff keys and the crankshaft slot...
Dave

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In the age of computers and check engine lights you would think that it would show a code showing crank sensor or even just showing the timing out...

·
Registered
1 Posts
My daughter's car had this exact same problem. I'll call my mechanic and ask if he remebers what it was. Seems like it was about $100 repair job.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts