Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
05 Sorento 3.5 2wd 104k mi
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My very trusty '05 3.5 V/6 104k mi 2wd Sorento has a serious issue that seems to confound logic. I had the timing belt/water pump/tensioner replaced last month and 2wks later completely out of the blue I had what sounded like a dead hyd lifter. It shuttered slightly at 45mph with pronounced ticking on the driver side cyl. I towed it in and the mech confidently replaced the whole set of hyd lifters on the driver side....to no avail! He said all the internals/lifters/valves/injectors and oil looked great which is good news.

Then after a test drive he said I mysteriously developed no compression on one cyl in the driver side so he pulled the head thinking sticking valve. The machine shop returned it and said the head tested fine so back on it went with fresh gaskets/oil/filter and coolant. No ticking, so he says it must've been something he did. Paid $900 and drove 6mi and it starts to idle rough but no ticking, 3mi later the oil light flickers and a faint ticking is heard. Shut it down returned it and now I'm thinking it's been an oil pressure related issue from the beginning.

Is there any sense to my tale? Is it somehow related to the timing belt change 3 wks ago or is it even an oil pump problem. I'm really depending on somebody here with some insight. Thanks in advance. Mike

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,475 Posts
First thing I would do is get a mechanical oil pressure gauge installed so while you are driving it you can "see" what the pressure is. Low oil pressure could cause the lifters to not pump up.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
How clean was the head that you had serviced? Was it dirty or sludgy? I'm thinking clumps of sludge in the sump that are getting sucked against the oil pump intake screen.

·
Registered
21 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My very trusty '05 3.5 V/6 104k mi 2wd Sorento has a serious issue that seems to confound logic. I had the timing belt/water pump/tensioner replaced last month and 2wks later completely out of the blue I had what sounded like a dead hyd lifter. It shuttered slightly at 45mph with pronounced ticking on the driver side cyl. I towed it in and the mech confidently replaced the whole set of hyd lifters on the driver side....to no avail! He said all the internals/lifters/valves/injectors and oil looked great which is good news.

Then after a test drive he said I mysteriously developed no compression on one cyl in the driver side so he pulled the head thinking sticking valve. The machine shop returned it and said the head tested fine so back on it went with fresh gaskets/oil/filter and coolant. No ticking, so he says it must've been something he did. Paid $900 and drove 6mi and it starts to idle rough but no ticking, 3mi later the oil light flickers and a faint ticking is heard. Shut it down returned it and now I'm thinking it's been an oil pressure related issue from the beginning.

Is there any sense to my tale? Is it somehow related to the timing belt change 3 wks ago or is it even an oil pump problem. I'm really depending on somebody here with some insight. Thanks in advance. Mike
It definitely sounds like an oil pressure problem from the beginning. I can not think of a way that they could have messed up the oil pressure when doing a timing belt. Check the oil level and wipe it on a clean white rag or paper towel. Look for metal grindings in it.

You may need a new oil pump which is in the oil pan or have oil sludge that has clogged a passage somewhere. I would bring it back and tell them that you are not paying for anymore work to be done but you want the truck fixed. It sounds like you paid to have this truck fixed and they did nothing but rip it apart for no reason and charge you.

How many miles are on the truck and have you kept up with oil changes every 3,000 miles?

·
Registered
05 Sorento 3.5 2wd 104k mi
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Chris and Cmar guessed right and Toolman had great input too. As it turns out it was sludge in the oil pan that was intermittently blocking the sump screen. At 104,000mi, even after religiously changing oil every 3500mi, there was enough build up to limit oil flow as it got randomly sucked into the screen.

Yes my engine was lobotomzed for no reason and the fix should've been less than $200 if your 1st swing at it is right but at this point I'm just glad to find the fix. I know I've been through a few mystery mechanical issues that seem logical only to find that it was something else. I'm just a bit bummed that it took so long and hope that this post and the excellent forum input will save somebody else a painful bill.

Moral of story, install an oil gauge and pull the pan at 100k mi to clean and ck the sump screen no matter how often you change the oil. It might just save you $1000

I'm pretty sure he got it this time but if there's another chapter to this tale I'll be sure to follow up.

Thanks again, Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts