Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento EX, 97 Dodge Dakota Sport, 79 Jeep CJ5
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, New to this forum and really need some help. Everyone here seems very knowledgable, so here goes...
05 Sorento EX 4x4 6cyl
When accellerating, transmission shifts perfectly.
When at cruising speed and slowing down, it has a whine and will jerk once it gets warm, like its getting bound up somewhere. When off the gas it goes, whine, jerk, whine, jerk. Not a head hitting the dash jerk but it is very noticable and do not want to keep it on the road this way.
Had a flat tire 3 weeks ago on a Sunday, money is tight so we found a cheap tire to replace the right rear that blew out, 2 weeks ago got the same tire and put that on the left rear.
Now it has started making these sounds.
Coincidence or did i kill the trans? Or does it just need reset to re-learn the trans shifting?
Baby on the way and need
ANY ADVISE WILL BE GREATLY WELCOMED!!
THANK YOU ALL!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello, New to this forum and really need some help. Everyone here seems very knowledgable, so here goes...
05 Sorento EX 4x4 6cyl
When accellerating, transmission shifts perfectly.
When at cruising speed and slowing down, it has a whine and will jerk once it gets warm, like its getting bound up somewhere. When off the gas it goes, whine, jerk, whine, jerk. Not a head hitting the dash jerk but it is very noticable and do not want to keep it on the road this way.
Had a flat tire 3 weeks ago on a Sunday, money is tight so we found a cheap tire to replace the right rear that blew out, 2 weeks ago got the same tire and put that on the left rear.
Now it has started making these sounds.
Coincidence or did i kill the trans? Or does it just need reset to re-learn the trans shifting?
Baby on the way and need
ANY ADVISE WILL BE GREATLY WELCOMED!!
THANK YOU ALL!
How many miles on it?

Also, have you checked the tranny fluid? If its low, it might cause jerking while cruising and at stoplights, but not while under load, because when under a load, the pump is circulating the fluid better, but at idle it will it in the pan. If you havent had a tranny service in 30-50k miles, might be time to do one.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Is yours an TOD model? If so the tyres could be the cause of your problem. If the new tryes are not exactly the same size as the ones you took off, then the difference in tyre revolutions could be tricking the AWD system into thinking that the rear tyres are slipping, and making it engage 4wd.
The reason that it only seems noticeable when the car is hot, is because by then so is the TOD system and it is becomming hot and "sticky" from the overload.
If this is the case you need to match up the tyres or you may burn out the clutches in the TOD transfer case. - a very expensive item.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SorentoLX04 - Transmission fluid level was fine and has been serviced. THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT!
cmar - I believe you are on to something with this as i believe it is a TOD model. The 4WD system has 2 settings, auto and 4x4 low. THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT!

We have not been driving the Sorento as my father in law has been gracious enough to let us borrow his car.

I got under the Sorento yesterday and checked the transfer case fluid. It was a bit low and got to the kia dealership and they gave me at no charge (thank you Alexander Kia) the last quart of the shell fluid they had left.
Put it back together and took her for a ride. Helped a little but did not fix the issue.

In park, the rear driveshaft has no play what so ever. The front driveshaft has quite a bit. My question now is; Is the front driveshaft supposed to have a lot of play in it?
In 4WD low, it jerks terribly, leading me to believe that the transfer case is the issue.
My father in law needs his car back.

My next question is; If i remove the front drive shaft, is the vehicle still drivable? or if i remove it will it cause more damage than what is already done.
I know on my old 79 CJ-5 I can do this and it is not an issue. These new cars drive me crazy!

If anyone has any input on this please let me know.

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,903 Posts
You can pull the front propshaft (between transfer case and front diff). Know of a few who have done so without issue (and improved mpg claimed). That might at least give a clue as to where the issue is.

First try removing the 'TCCS' fuse in the fuse box in driver's footwell. That disables TOD. (Only good for pre-facelift. On facelift models it messes with ABS and others).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gee6 - thank you for your input. I pulled the fuse and it stopped the noise. getting 2 of the same tires for the front. Hopefully that is all that is wrong with it.
I now know for next time that the KIA is extremely picky about tires.
Will let you all know if thats all it was or not.

Thank you all for your time and helping me out with this issue. Will stay on here and hopefully i can help someone else out with their issues.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
No problem, I hope you sort it out. If you opt to remove the front prop shaft don't forget to mark it so you can put it back in the same position for balance purposes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
gee6- I have a question for YOU. I need a new front drive shaft (propeller shaft) in my 2003 Sorrento. I was going to sell it. A new one costs $700.00+. You said that it can actually be removed WITHOUT damaging the transfer case. Trans shop said there are clutches etc in transfer case that would be damaged. This idea of removing it sounds VERY appealing. You said you have had a few people you know that have done it. Is this a more than a very temporary solution? Do you think/KNOW if it would cause any damage? Thank you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts