Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2005 kia sorento 2.5 diesel
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2005 kia sorento 2.5 crdi and i replace the engine 2 weeks ago and to date i will not start ,,, any idea i am fedup

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,168 Posts
No CRANK or cranks NO ENGINE START (run)?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
631 Posts
We're sorry, but if you can not or will not provide additional data as requested how do you expect accurate help?
You R & R'ed the engine, but did you take photos of all connections prior to the R part?
If not, your only option may be to seek professional help, which may cost you.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replace a exact complete engine there was no need to take pictures all connecting ports are different so no mistakes on that part
I do not understand when you say I didn't provide additional data please explain because I am new to this

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,790 Posts
I replace a exact complete engine
Same year? same model? (Others have been sold what they thought was "exact", but wasn't.)
Was the engine guaranteed to be working when you got it?

there was no need to take pictures all connecting ports are different
Did you mean that? Regardless of similarities things chnge over time anyway (even within a model year) and you do need to be sure that EVERYTHING is reconnected correctly. (broken damaged connectors is obvious one).

I do not understand when you say I didn't provide additional data please explain because I am new to this
Well, any error codes for one. That might help diagnosis. "not start" is too vague. So to clarify the previous:
"The engine cranks but will not start"
"The engine will not turn over"
"The starter motor does not work"
"The engine cranks, turns over, splutters, but will not run"
Without the detail we are none the wiser.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Check out the thread ...Sorento Diesel not starting by member Grimm. IF on cranking the starter motor you check and find you are NOT getting fuel at the motor to run on. It is a newer vehicle(a 2010), but fuel system delivery should closely be the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same year? same model? (Others have been sold what they thought was "exact", but wasn't.)
Was the engine guaranteed to be working when you got it?

Did you mean that? Regardless of similarities things chnge over time anyway (even within a model year) and you do need to be sure that EVERYTHING is reconnected correctly. (broken damaged connectors is obvious one).

Well, any error codes for one. That might help diagnosis. "not start" is too vague. So to clarify the previous:
"The engine cranks but will not start"
"The engine will not turn over"
"The starter motor does not work"
"The engine cranks, turns over, splutters, but will not run"
Without the detail we are none the wiser.
Yes the company guarantee that the engine will start upon installation I bought the engine from Korea motors in South Korea and realize that they have a bad reputation

The engine turn over but won't start i spray starter fluid and it start but shut off when the starter fluid burn off

I checked all connections and they seems fine. The fuel pressure pump that is on the engine is getting diesel but none isn't going to the rail pipe or the lines to the injectors

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Than you, That gives us a LOT more Information to work with to come up with some possible reasons and steps to try and help you out. This posting SHOULD have been in your FIRST posting.
NOW a little patience while those responding get a chance to read this and "mull" things over before they reply further.. You have the hard part done with the swap, now the "little(but dismaying) things to take care of! :) ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes the company guarantee that the engine will start upon installation I bought the engine from Korea motors in South Korea and realize that they have a bad reputation

The engine turn over but won't start i spray starter fluid and it start but shut off when the starter fluid burn off

I checked all connections and they seems fine. The fuel pressure pump that is on the engine is getting diesel but none isn't going to the rail pipe or the lines to the injectors
Try to get a diagnostic test but the scanner connector doesn't fit my vehicle port
Than you, That gives us a LOT more Information to work with to come up with some possible reasons and steps to try and help you out. This posting SHOULD have been in your FIRST posting.
NOW a little patience while those responding get a chance to read this and "mull" things over before they reply further.. You have the hard part done with the swap, now the "little(but dismaying) things to take care of! :) ;)
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,607 Posts
At a minimum when coming to a forum searching for help, is to list what you have tried and the results - a little better effort on your part will pay off well.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I am not that familiar with your models diesel set up, BUT many diesels if they have a fuel filter between the pump and supply source need to have the line and high pressure pump primed with fuel to eliminate air to be able to start when lines have been opened for major service work like you had done.
This may or may not be the problem you have, but a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Yes, there should be a primer on the fuel filter. Diesel has a strainer in fuel tank that is prone to clogging (search "tank delamination" ) from the tank liner paint flaking off. Fuel pump is driven by cam chain drive and is combined high/low pressure pump. There are sensors that, if bad, may signal ecu to inhibit fuel.

NB: The fuel pump will have come with the engine, but the filter will not. So, I would want to make sure filter is good and fuel is getting to that point. If tank has delaminated it is possible that something minute has got into the fuel lines. It is sometimes needed to clean out lines. Really bad luck is for particles to reach the fuel pump.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
@ member gee6
Thanks for coming onto this thread with your EXPERIENCE and WISDOM about these Diesel vehicles. I've noted many of your postings relating to the Diesel motors and you have always come across as "spot on". These type motors are not as widely used or maintained by the general public or DIY type membership on the forum particularly here in the USA. We love our GAS(petrol) engines more! ;) :)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
@ member jamacianman,

A small note to you. There are a number of forum members watching this thread and trying to help you. Please report back what you continue to try and if it works or not. This is a common courtesy on all auto forums that some people don't realize when they participate on a forum. We try and help others(along with our own concerns), it is NICE to know how things advance or work out to a successful conclusion. :)

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
@Jamaicanman

How did you determine fuel at pump but NOT at injectors?

There are things that can be tested but if no fuel at injectors would seem pointless. Besides, I am reluctant to encourage inexperienced to play with common rail because of the EXTREME high pressures involved. We are talking 1350 bar on the Sorento diesel (that's 19,500PSI for the cousins :) ) Please take care.

Pressure below a certain limit (not sure of value) will inhibit injection. Air locks will inhibit starting.

I think you need to see someone with Bosch injection experience.

Alternatively we would need some diagnostics to try and trace the issues. The OBDII port is below the steering column behind the lower dash. See if you can get someone to lend you a reader and/or check the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) (or 'error codes') for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At a minimum when coming to a forum searching for help, is to list what you have tried and the results - a little better effort on your part will pay off well.
I have never been on forum before so please forgive me for my shortcomings ,,,, to further illustrate what I have already explained (1) I loosened all fuel lines one by one to each injectors one at time and hand pump to prime them but 1 out of 10 times I would get a trickling out of the line (2) I change the crank sensor (3) I bleed the hand pump and the pressure pump (4) check all fuses and relays and they are all good (5) so
I am not that familiar with your models diesel set up, BUT many diesels if they have a fuel filter between the pump and supply source need to have the line and high pressure pump primed with fuel to eliminate air to be able to start when lines have been opened for major service work like you had done.
This may or may not be the problem you have, but a suggestion.
Thanks for your suggestion : It could be the problem because the engine was remove in July of 2019 and no lines were cap off and thefuel filter was not removed and filled with fuel and prime after installing the new engine as I stated remove the engine July of 2019 and install it feburary 28, 2020
Yes, there should be a primer on the fuel filter. Diesel has a strainer in fuel tank that is prone to clogging (search "tank delamination" ) from the tank liner paint flaking off. Fuel pump is driven by cam chain drive and is combined high/low pressure pump. There are sensors that, if bad, may signal ecu to inhibit fuel.

NB: The fuel pump will have come with the engine, but the filter will not. So, I would want to make sure filter is good and fuel is getting to that point. If tank has delaminated it is possible that something minute has got into the fuel lines. It is sometimes needed to clean out lines. Really bad luck is for particles to reach the fuel pump.
Thank you for such detailed advice,,, I would more believe that some debris got into the pressure pump because when I remove the supply line there's a lot of fuel coming from it so the pump is getting fuel ,, sometimes I will get good pressure to the rail and injectors but when go to start the engine it would stop.
Are there any procedures that I can use to clean the pressure pump and is it a difficult task to replace it

I am not in Jamaica at this time so not able to put your advice in action but I do appreciate all the help
@ member jamacianman,

A small note to you. There are a number of forum members watching this thread and trying to help you. Please report back what you continue to try and if it works or not. This is a common courtesy on all auto forums that some people don't realize when they participate on a forum. We try and help others(along with our own concerns), it is NICE to know how things advance or work out to a successful conclusion. :)
I will definitely be reporting the progress and I really do appreciate all inputs,,, will update the forums next week on the result
@ member jamacianman,

Thank you for the heads up I will definitely report back and give in step by step details
I really really appreciate all the information I have already received on this forum,,, you guys are the best
Thanks again
@Jamaicanman

How did you determine fuel at pump but NOT at injectors?

There are things that can be tested but if no fuel at injectors would seem pointless. Besides, I am reluctant to encourage inexperienced to play with common rail because of the EXTREME high pressures involved. We are talking 1350 bar on the Sorento diesel (that's 19,500PSI for the cousins :) ) Please take care.

Pressure below a certain limit (not sure of value) will inhibit injection. Air locks will inhibit starting.

I think you need to see someone with Bosch injection experience.
When I primed the hand pump above the fuel filter and it gets real hard I would slowly loosen one of the supply line to the injectors and sometimes a trickling of diesel and most times none
Thanks for the safety tips but I was aware of the enormous amount of pressure that it generate. So if this fuel system is in air lock what's the best way to resolve this issue.

Thanks again for your advice

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,607 Posts
I have never been on forum before so please forgive me for my shortcomings ,,,, to further illustrate what I have already explained
No, you hadn't already explained what I pointed out.

Good to see you're putting in the effort now, and that always brings positive results here.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts