Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Sedona
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change the fluid in out 05 Sedona and need to know where the drain plug for the transmission is. if you have links to a picture or can describe the location that would be most helpful. I have the fluid just need to know where the hole is to let it out.

Thanks

·
Registered
1999 Hyundai Elantra Wagon, 2003 Kia Sedona, 2012 Kia Sedona, 2007 Hyundai Tucson
48 Posts
There isn't one. But fear not, it's still easy. Here's the instructions:

Disconnect the "easy" rubber hose cooling line from the trans cooler.
Plug the rubber hose with a bolt or something suitable.
Connect a drain tube to the other open end of the trans cooler, and run the tube into a bucket or puke pan.
Put the parking brake on.
Start the engine in neutral and let the trans pump out the fluid into the puke pan
Put the trans into "drive" and then "reverse" until it doesn't pump out fluid anymore.
Attach the cooling line back up to the trans cooler.
Using this method, you haven't lost all the fluid. Still some in the torque converter methinks. I find adding 4 quarts is the correct amount to put back in via the dip stick tube. Check it yourself and add fluid as needed. Make sure you use only Kia spec SP III fluid if you want it done right.

Good luck, commander.

·
Registered
2003 Sedona 2.9 CRDi, 1992 2.5 Mitsubishi Pajero LWB, 1998 Toyota Corrolla, Suzuki GSXR600
54 Posts
There is a drain plug on the automatic boxes. At the bottom of the bellhousing is a metal plate held on with 3 bolts (14mm spanner size). Remove this and on the engine side of the bellhousing at about the 7-8 o'clock position is a large nut (24mm spanner size). Undo this to drain the oil. Be aware though that if the car is jacked up at the front not all the oil will come out. There will be around 3 litres left in it, so if you can do this with all four wheels still on the ground that would help. I wouldn't advise running the gearbox to drain of oil. It can damage the clutches which is then rather costly to repair.
Oh and the gearbox holds a rather fulsome 7.5 litres!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts