Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like its flooding to me because it stalls but doesn't die and it reeks of fuel. It's showing codes
P0430 "catalyst efficiency below threshold - bank 2"
Probable causes:
Leak before cat
Faulty o2 bank 2
Rich air/fuel ratio
Faulty cat

P0304 cylinder 4 misfire
Probable causes:
Rich air/fuel
Ignition sys fault
Injector fault
Engine mech fault

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
Joe...
There is NO carburetor on your Sedona so there is no carb bowl to dump gas like in the older cars. You could have problems with a fuel injector or a vacuum leak causing "Rich air/fuel ratio"
If it reeks of fuel I would be very careful until the leak was found...This is not a common or normal type of problem with this kind of fuel system. You may have a fuel line or rail leaking.
What is the mileage on the car?
Dave

·
Registered
2007 Kia Magentis LX
156 Posts
raw gas is being dumped into the cat converter. might also wanna keep an eye on your engine oil level/quality...it could also be seeping into the crankcase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joe...
There is NO carburetor on your Sedona so there is no carb bowl to dump gas like in the older cars. You could have problems with a fuel injector or a vacuum leak causing "Rich air/fuel ratio"
If it reeks of fuel I would be very careful until the leak was found...This is not a common or normal type of problem with this kind of fuel system. You may have a fuel line or rail leaking.
What is the mileage on the car?
Dave
That's what I told my wife when she said that was how it was acting but that's exactly what it's mimicking is an old carb.

raw gas is being dumped into the cat converter. might also wanna keep an eye on your engine oil level/quality...it could also be seeping into the crankcase.
What would make it do that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Soooo... Is cylinder 4 on the front? Please tell me it is! The back 3 look like a lot of work to get to.

·
Registered
2004 Optima 2.4 EX, 2005 Yamaha R1 (street) 2001 GSXR 1000 (track)
1,018 Posts
Cylinder 4 is the middle of the front three cylinders, under the coil. DavesSpectra is right, the raw fuel smell could be real bad, and there aren't any common issues I've seen with these. However, If you've got a cylinder 4 misfire, then raw fuel has been getting into the bank 2 converter. It has probably melted down, which is why you now have the P0430. Usually once this code pops up, the damage has already been done. Spark plugs are recommended at 60K miles on these, have they been replaced? How many miles do you have on the van?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We just bought the van a few months ago and I believe it's pushing about 158k. No idea if it's ever had a tuneup or not. We kinda jumped on it for 2,500 with it only showing a map sensor code. I was kind of dreading the tuneup as you have to remove the intake mani but it sounds like its time. I was REALLY hoping the cat wasn't toast and was pretty optimistic as I'm used to seeing a 420 code for a definitely faulty cat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts