Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Rio, Nissan 240sx Drift Car, 1972 C-10, Yamaha Nytro MTX Snowmobile 300HP with Boost
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the car with a known broken timing belt. We Replaced all the valves in the head and one bent rod. It started right up, and after the lifters pumped up it runs on 3 cylinders. I immediately thought we pinched the spark plug gap closed with the valve spring compressor so I checked it but it was fine and it has bright blue spark. I can disconnect the spark plug wire while it is running (with insulated pliers of course) and #2 does not effect the engine speed when disconnected. My conclusion is, spark? yes, Compression? yes timing? yes, the other three run perfectly, must be a fuel issue. SO my question is, is there a way to check the fuel injector and see if it is firing? should I swap cylinders and see if the misfire follows the injector? Also there is no error code.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
I'm surprised that there is "no error code"... Does that mean you checked the ECM with an OBDII scanner or does that mean the "check engine" light was not lit?
Codes can still be stored even if there is no "light"...(just being careful to cover this as some posters don't check the actual pXXX codes).
You say compression is OK?? Kinda vague in your post.
You can move the injector to another cylinder and check for it not firing... I'm surprised there are no codes stored relating to the one cylinder firing like P0302. Was #2 cylinder one of the cylinders you replaced the valves on?
Dave

·
Registered
2005 Kia Rio, Nissan 240sx Drift Car, 1972 C-10, Yamaha Nytro MTX Snowmobile 300HP with Boost
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My compression gauge is the old rubber tipped style and won't reach the spark plug hole so I did a cylinder leak down check and all 4 are between 8 and 12% with #2 being 10% so that is why I was vague when referring to the compression numbers. Excuse the newbish statement in reference to the "no codes". I did not scan the ECM but assumed there wasn't a code since there wasn't a check engine light. I'll get it scanned.

I replaced all 16 valves.

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
You are truly one of a few with a 2005 or older that the engine was repairable.
The head required only valves (and had them seated i presume)? Wow!
I bet you got it for very little as engines are costly for this model. Looks like you probably have some cash to play with to get her going.
You got away with just a rod? no piston or lower bearings?
I'll bet you do have codes stored and they should be of a lot of help in diagnosing #2 cylinder problems.
You can get an "ELM327 OBD2 OBD-II V1.5 CAN-BUS Diagnostic interface Scan Tool with USB Cable 16PIN for under $20...All you need is a laptop and their software
ELM327 OBD2 OBD-II V1.5 CAN-BUS Diagnostic interface Scan Tool USB Cable 16PIN | eBay.
Good tool to have with the newer cars!
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for the information. I'll scan it tonight at a friends shop and let you know what I find. (which will likely be cylinder #2 misfire LOL)
The previous owner was sitting at a stop light idling when the belt failed. When it wouldn't start he thought the battery was bad so he put in a new one. Still no go so then he replaced the starter. He must have gotten some educated advice after that because he told me the engine was toast. I fully expected it to be but to my surprise when we pulled the head off it was just one broken valve head and 12 other bent valves. I had to replace the valve seat on the one that snapped the head off because it inevitably got between the piston and the combustion chamber a couple of times and mashed it. I am a machinist and fabricator for a living so I welded up the damaged portion of the combustion chamber and remachined it then installed a new valve seat and lapped in all of the new valves. I pulled all of the pistons out expecting the ring lands to be squished down on the top ring but the only problem I found was the oil scraper rings were all stuck to the piston I assume due to lack of a normal oil change intervals. I cleaned them up, touched up the nicks in the piston tops, inspected the bearings which were still nearly new looking and reassembled everything. This car has 74,000 miles on it BTW

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
Sitting at idle was the key. Not moving fast enough to destroy the head or pistons.
He was unlucky and you got lucky!
Now...I hope your other problems are minor and few.
These engines have been known to go 300k when maintained well.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
dsolorio...
If you will take the time to search the older posts on RIOs YOU will find just such posts...
There are pictures of his odometer also.
The key to their longevity is proper maintainence.
I try not to BS fellow posters and try to base my posts on facts and not emotions.
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My son took the car to a buddies shop and had it scanned. There was a code for cylinder #1 and #2 misfire and also a code for cylinder #2 misfire. does this sound correct? I didn't have time to mess with it last night so that is all the more info I know at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
Does your sons buddy have a good compression gauge? This may give a better clue to what's going on inside... You also might want to move the 1&2 Injectors to 3&4... clear the codes..start it and then read them again...See if the codes "followed" the move...
Dave

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
Harbor freight sells compression testers at a pretty good price and it fits down in the the cylinder if that helps any Yea i know there cheap but for how often you use it I think it's a good investment for what it is worth. I have one cylinder low on compression i think about 100 verses 180 and the car runs ok Like dave says swap injectors and check your wires and plugs also. And i think your coil pack connectors also. Good luck with it. Reguards Ronjohn No it was 150 not 100 PSI sorry about that

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Compression is good, injectors have a nice even fog pattern. I switched the coil packs and the miss stayed with #2. when I was messing aound with it I noticed spark jumping from the coil pack to the bracket so I changed the spark plug wires and the miss seems to be cleared up. Fingers are crossed that it stays away!

Thanks everyone for the help. These forums sure are handy when working on a vehicle that is outside of your norm.

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
Coil packs are a problem as they get older... I would not trust them especially in wet weather.. I didn't bother to suggest coils or wires as you said you had good spark.
Have you taken it out on the road?
Now that it's fixed DON'T stay away...
Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts